1 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
3 1/4 – 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk
1. Place milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Butter should be at least partially melted. Stir and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, yeast, white sugar, and salt.
3. When milk mixture has cooled to warm (not hot) add it to the flour mixture along with the egg while the beater is running. Beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
4. Add remaining flour only until dough barely leaves the sides of the bowl. It should be very soft and slightly sticky. Continue to let the dough knead for 5 minutes. If you are not using a stand mixer, turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes by hand. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes while you make the filling.
1. make sure butter is softened well. Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon.
1. Roll dough into a rectangle about 12 x 14 inches.
2. Spread brown sugar mixture over the surface and use your fingers or the back of a spoon to gently spread around.
3. Roll up from the longer side of the rectangle and pinch edges closed. Score the roll into 12 equal pieces and then cut into rolls. Place in a 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Cover pan with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. In the mean time, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. When rolls have finished rising, bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. If desired spread with icing while still warm.
Makes 12 rolls