2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups superfine baking sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp. Nielson-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips or chunks
sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies just before baking - Don't skip this step!!!
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat until foam disappears and butter has a nutty smell, the color being light golden. Remove from heat. Allow to cool while you mix together the brown sugar.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix the superfine sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.
4. Pour the melted butter in a bowl of a mixer. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
5. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Lightly sprinkle each ball with a couple flecks of sea salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning.