The Avenues to Teaching Excellence Teaching Leaders
1. Programs and Published Materials:
• Avenues to Teaching Excellence – Targeted professional development for teachers through a comprehensive Teaching Skills rubric and an accountable goal orientated Professional Development Program. (For more details click here to see Avenues Teachers Introduction Page)
• Avenues to Teaching Leadership Excellence – Targeted professional development for teaching leaders (eg, Heads of Department, Middle managers, etc) through a comprehensive set of Teaching and Leadership Skills rubrics and an accountable goal orientated Professional Development Program. (For more details click here to see Avenues LEADERS Introduction Page)
• Avenues to Executive Leaders’ Excellence – Targeted professional development for executive leaders through a comprehensive set of Leadership Skills rubrics and an accountable goal orientated Professional Development Program. (For more details click here to see Avenues Introduction Page)
• Avenues to Non-Teaching Staff Excellence – Targeted professional development for non-teaching staff through a personally-tailored appraisal with a skills rubric and an accountable goal-oriented professional development program.
• Avenues to Principals’ Excellence – Targeted professional development for principals through a comprehensive set of Principals’ Skills rubrics and an accountable goal-orientated Professional Development Program. (For more details click here to see Principal's Apprasal & Development Program page.)
2. Avenues Seminars:
• School Leaders introduction to Avenues Programs (1½ - 2 hours). (see Teacher Review & Development Program Overview attachment at the bottom of this page)
• Teachers’ orientation to Avenues program (1½ - 2 hours). (see Teacher Review & Development Program Overview attachment at the bottom of this page)
• Leaders Orientation to Avenues for Leaders (1½ - 2 hours).
• Training of Supervisors & Colleague Coaches (2 hours)
• Monitoring and assistance with the program roll out.
3. Avenues School Support:
• Visits & telephone support to Professional Development coordinator4. Testimonials
• Monitoring visits with supervisors
• Support/follow up seminars with teachers
• Applications & accountability processes if school wishes to pursue an AGQTP grant.
from Peter Edwards Professional Learning Coordinator, Bundaberg Christian College
Re: Avenues to Teaching Excellence Professional Learning Program
My first knowledge of the Avenues Personal Professional Learning Program came through an email. From that time I have been able to lead our College staff on an voyage of reflection, strategic planning and enhancement of personal and professional practice. Working with Ray has been a pleasure and of huge professional benefit to me and the staff at our College.
The Avenues Program enabled us to be self-reflective in a succinct, cohesive and logical way. We were able to delve deeply into all facets of our personal and professional practice, including areas the areas of Intentional Instruction, Curriculum knowledge, Administration skills, Philosophy of Education, Work-life relationship and Biblical Worldview.
The simple structure of the Avenues Program allowed for clear, step by step introduction of it into our College. Through a series of full staff meetings, pupil free days and Professional Development sessions, staff developed a full understanding of the program, its structure, their roles, the intended outcomes and the relevant timeframes involved.
With Ray’s regular support and counsel, we are now half way through our first 2 year cycle. Realising the benefits of the program, teaching staff have asked for the teacher aides at the College to be involved in a similar process. To this end we have developed, with Ray’s assistance, a comprehensive Teacher Aide Personal and Professional Learning Program. This will be of great benefit to the entire College through the targeted up skilling of all teacher aides in each 2 year cycle.
Ray has recently worked closely with us to cross reference the Avenues Program with the new AITSL Standards for teachers, whilst maintaining the direct links into the QCOT requirements for professional learning. Our staff is now able to develop Personal and Professional Learning Plans based around systemic requirements, and self-identified needs, in their professional practice and personal and spiritual life. They work closely in teams to mentor, coach and supervise each other. The Avenues Program has served to enhance the collegiality of our staff and promote increased professional discussion at a range of levels throughout the campus.
Deputy Head of Primary
Professional Learning Coordinator
Bundaberg Christian College