Recipe from Random Cuisine
Makes one 13''x9'' cake
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 45 mins
Cooling Time: 15 mins
1 can crushed pineapple, liquid reserved
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup apple sauce
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon (and/or ground cloves)
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
2 ¼ cup grated carrots
Handful of raisins, soaked in the reserved pineapple juice
1 ½ cups icing sugar
3 tbsps reserved pineapple juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 13’’x9’’ baking pan, lay a parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar until pale.
3. Stir in vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
5. Stir in egg mixture until just moist (don’t mix too much to avoid developping the gluten)
6. Stir in pineapple, carrots and raisins.
7. Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 mins. Afterwards, cool for 15 mins.
8. For the icing, mix icing sugar with pineapple juice. Spread it on the cake. (Don’t spread the icing while the cake is hot)