Posted on 13 December, 2011 by Radhika Subramanian | Tickling Palates
- Raw shelled peanuts – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Tomato – 1 (optional)
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- salt – to taste
Pressure cook the peanuts with two pinch salt for 1 whistle.
The peanuts should be cooked well and soft to the touch but take care not to
over cook as it will become mushy. I microwaved them***
Finely chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilli. Grate the
carrots or you can also chop them fine. In a small bowl shake together red chili
powder, chaat masala and salt together.
In another bowl combine boiled peanuts, onion, tomatoes,
carrots and coriander leaves together. Sprinkle the red chili, chaat masala all
over the peanut mixture and toss well so that they are all mixed up.
Now add the lemon juice and toss well. Serve piping hot.
*** How to boil / cook peanuts in a
Place the dry peanuts in a micro wave proof vessel and 1 tbsp
of water. Mix well so that the peanuts are damp. Close with lid. Microwave at
high for 2 min. Add 1 tsp of water after a minute or so if it becomes dry.
Mix well and once again close with lid and microwave at high
for another 1 min.
- Now add salt and add 1 tsp of water and toss well. Close with
lid and microwave again for another 1 min. Peanuts are boiled and ready to
- You can remove the seeds of the tomatoes and green chilli before using.
- The peanuts should hold their shape. They should be cooked, crunchy and not
mushy and over boiled.
- Instead of tomatoes you can also add raw mango during the season.