Grocery Shopping Tips
Organize your grocery list.
- List categories in the order you find them in your grocery store.
- Try to pick up the items from the refrigeration and freezing sections last.
- Include categories on your list that you frequently buy such as:
- Canned/Packaged Foods/Cereals
- Paper/Cleaning Products
- Fresh Vegetables
- Fresh Fruit
- Frozen Foods
- Find a convenient place in your kitchen for the grocery list.
- Encourage family members to add to it. Ask them to add items when they are low and not empty.
- Plan meals for the next week and add the items needed to the grocery list before shopping.
- Grocery shop from your grocery list once a week and avoid stops at the grocery store after work.
- Never shop when hungry. This is when you'll be most tempted to make poor choices.
- Wholesome, nutritious foods are no more expensive than processed snack foods. A bag of potato chips or a soda pop usually costs more than fresh fruit. Don't blame cost for poor food choices.