News

April Meeting Minutes

posted Apr 6, 2014, 11:47 AM by Matt Marlowe   [ updated Apr 6, 2014, 11:48 AM ]

The meeting was held at Max Watson’s House. 
 
The meeting was called to order at 8:05 pm. 
 
Officers in Attendance:  Matt Marlowe, President;  Brad Butler, Secretary; Paul Fuller, Sergeant at Arms.
 
Members and Guests in Attendance: 18
 
Old Business 
 
· The proposal for a bylaw change that was brought up at the March meeting modifying the language requiring members to hold an officers position sometime during their membership to strongly encouraging them was read.  The membership in attendance voted unanimously for the change.  As a result, the by-law in Article II, Section 3 now states – To be a member in good standing, a member must; pay annual dues and drink responsibly.  Members are highly encouraged to serve as an Officer at some point during their membership.   
 
· May meeting was set for May 10th, location to be determined.  The meeting was scheduled to be at Organarchy Hops outside of Oldtown, MD however, we may have to have our meeting separate from our trip to Organarchy Hops. 
 
· June meeting will be on the 14th and will be a picnic/river fest on the banks of the North Branch of the Potomac River outside of Oldtown, MD.  It will be an all day affair and an all-nighter if you desire.  It was noted that you should bring your own water as there is no potable water at the site.  
 
· There is a Beer, Bacon, and Music homebrew competition/festival the 3rd weekend in May (17th & 18th) in Frederick, MD.  The cost to register is $40 and there is $6,000 in prize money.  The deadline for registration is April 15th.  For details there is a link on the QCHC Facebook page or you can go to www.beerbaconmusic.com 
 
· Chris Dignan is being deployed and will be unable to fulfill the duties of the Vice President.  Per the by-laws, the Executive Board will be seeking a member to assume the duties of the Vice President.  Anyone interested, please contact a Club officer.  You are strongly encouraged.     
 
New Business
 
· There was a proposal to fully reimburse whoever provides food for food pairing at Mash Out and other events.  President Marlowe stated the Club pays for Octoberfest, the Christmas party, and other events.  He said if anyone wishes to be reimbursed for bringing food to let him know and it shouldn’t be a problem. 
 
· We are going to start having a best of show food competition at our meetings.
 
· There was a discussion on buying Club equipment, and in particular, a 50 gallon pot.  We have purchased equipment in the past and we could add it to what we already have.  President Marlowe will see how much it would cost and maybe towards the end of the year we can buy one.
 
· Twila will price glasses with the QCHC logo.
 
· The possibility of Aaron, our Burgermeister of Education, recording classes was discussed.  
 
· Bryce Capodieci from Mash Out is starting a brewery called Rustik Bru.  There is a link on the QCHC Facebook page.  You can also go to kickstarter.com and search for Rustik Bru.  
 
· We welcomed 3 new Club members: John, Butch, and Sherry.         
 
· The meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm  
 
· There was a beer judging after the meeting.   Bill won the in-style competition with his IPA and Dunkel.  Clint won the in-style competition with his Irish Red.  And Denny won the People’s Choice with his Wedding IPA.  

March Meeting Minutes

posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:50 PM by Matt Marlowe

The meeting was held at Chris Dignan’s House.

The meeting was called to order at 8:05pm.

Officers in Attendance: Chris Dignan, Vice President; Brad Butler, Secretary; Karen Hallam, Treasurer.

Members and Guests in Attendance: 16

Old Business
- Max and several other club members were going to go in on a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia however, there was a problem obtaining the bottle. Max stated he would buy a bottle and then see who wants to go in on the tasting.
- The yeast washing clinic conducted by Aaron Britton, the Burgermister of Education, went very well and the members who attended said it was very well organized, informative, and recommended members attend if it is offered in the future. It was also mentioned that Heady Topper yeast was harvested right out of the can.
- April meeting will be on the 5th at Max’s house beginning at 7:00pm. Max plans on having a bonfire, weather permitting.
- May meeting will be a Saturday in early May at Organarchy Hops. We can string hops and there will be a BBQ. The exact date is pending.
- June meeting will be on the 14th and will be a picnic/river fest on the banks of the North Branch of the Potomac River outside of Oldtown, MD. If the weather is bad the Hallan’s will host the meeting at their house in Rawlings, MD.

New Business
- There is a Beer, Bacon, and Music homebrew competition/festival the 3rd weekend in May (17th & 18th) in Frederick, MD. The cost to register is $40 and there is $6,000 in prize money. The deadline for registration is April 15th. For details there is a link on the QCHC Facebook page or you can go to www.beerbaconmusic.com
- Dues are due.
There was a proposal to vote on a bylaw change that would modify the language requiring members to hold an officers position sometime during their membership to strongly encouraging them. As it stands now, the by-laws read: Article II, Section 3 – To be a member in good standing, a member must; pay annual dues, agree to accept a club officer position at some time during membership, and drink responsibly. The proposed change would read: Article II, Section 3 – To be a member in good standing, a member must; pay annual dues and drink responsibly. Members are highly encouraged to serve as an Officer at some point during their membership. The proposal will be brought to a vote at the April meeting.
- Chris Dignan is being deployed and will be unable to fulfill the duties of the Vice President. Per the by-laws, the Executive Board will be seeking a member to assume the duties of the Vice President. Anyone interested, please contact a Club officer.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm
- Bill Metz won the People’s Choice award for his IPA and Dunkel. Max’s Nutty Brown and Dennis Jedlowski’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout were runners up.

January Minutes

posted Jan 11, 2014, 6:06 PM by Matt Marlowe   [ updated Jan 18, 2014, 12:58 PM ]

The meeting was held at Chuck and Helen’s house. Before the meeting Chuck gave a tour of his wine making operation and offered everyone a bottle of wine to take with them. Door prizes were also given out before the meeting with Max, Chris, Twila, and Hutch all winners.

The meeting was called to order by President Matt Marlowe at 8:00pm. 

Members and Guests in Attendance: 30

Guests Speakers: Dylan Krzywomski and Solomon Rose from Organarchy Hops spoke about their hop farm in Oldtown, MD. They currently grow several hop varieties on 6 ½ acres of land and will soon be expanding to approximately 14 acres. They produce whole leaf hops and also sell rhizomes and potted plants. They also conduct tours of their farm and the QCHC may be meeting there in the spring. They are very knowledgeable hop farmers and would be a good resource for anyone wishing to have their own hop garden. You can buy their hops at Cumberland Trail Connections at Canal Place in Cumberland. They also informed us of an upcoming Beer, Bacon, and Music festival in Frederick, MD that takes place in May. They can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Organarchyhops or their web site at www.organarchy.co . They also can be reached at 301-478-5674 or by e-mail @ info@organarchy.co . 

• President Marlowe then spoke about the upcoming Coal Country Brewers Cup on Saturday, February 8th at Jeff and Joan Lyon’s house in Accident, MD. The styles being judged are Stouts and Porters or specialty beers basses on Stouts and Porters. The fee is $5 for each entry payable in cash when you arrive. The registration deadline is January 25th. To register, visit the QCHC website or the Morgantown Area Society of Homebrewers website at mashwv.wordpress.com where you can find a digital registration form and more information on the event. You can e-mail you registration form to Jeff Lyons. You must submit two 12oz bottles per entry. Beers should be at Jeff’s house by February 6th or you can bring them the day of the event. QCHC entries will be collected at Cumberland Trail Connections by February 5th and Hutch said he would deliver them to the Lyon’s residence. 

• Karen Hallam agreed to accept the nomination to continue as Treasurer and was unanimously elected.

• There was a vote on a proposal to strike the requirement in the Club bylaws to hold an officer’s position sometime during membership. Before the vote the proposal was opened for discussion. There were 5 votes to strike the requirement and 6 votes to keep the requirement. As a result QCHC members will remain required to serve as Officers sometime during their membership. 

• There was discussion on Patty Runkles idea to resume informal homebrew competitions at our meetings. It was decided that we will have in-style competitions and people’s choice competitions. Twila and Karen said they would help Patty conduct the competitions. 

• A yeast washing workshop will be coming up. Details to be announced.

• Hutch presented a check for $150 as a donation from the proceeds of homebrew supply sales at Cumberland Trail Connections. There was also a $75 presentation from donated bottle sales. Bottles are needed and can be donated at Cumberland Trail Connections. They must be rinsed but labels may remain. 

• The next meeting will be 6pm Friday, February 6th at Cumberland Trail Connections.

• The March meeting will be 7pm on Saturday, March 8th at Chris Dignan’s house.

• Dues are due. They are $20.

• The meeting was adjourned at 8:50pm.

• After the meeting there was a vote for people’s choice and Bill Metz won for his cider. 

December Meeting Minutes

posted Dec 15, 2013, 6:43 PM by Matt Marlowe

December 2014 QCHC Meeting Minutes
 
Meeting called to order at 7 pm, December 15, 2013
 
New Business:
 
Brad Butler suggested a by-law change as follows; strike from the club by-laws, Section 3, the line that reads "[all members must] agree to accept a club officer position at some time during membership."  Butler said the requirement is not enforceable, unlike any other club, and vaguely worded.  Other members said there is no way to enforce it without tying it to mandatory meeting attendance and keeping track of attendance.  Matt Marlowe noted that the intent of that particular line was to encourage people to take a leadership role and so that the leadership did not remain the same and stagnate as it has of late.  Other members noted that the club should still encourage all members to take leadership roles in the club.  The by-law change is scheduled to be voted on at the January 2014 meeting.
 
Patti Runkles suggested that the club develop a more formalized and routine internal homebrew competition, for example quarterly homebrew competitions at meetings where only a "people's choice" or best-of-show beer is chosen and all members present vote for the best beer at the meeting.  Matt Marlowe noted that we have had those type of competitions in the past and have ribbons to provide as rewards.  Runkles will develop a proposal with details on how the competitions will be conducted and present at the January 2014 meeting.   Marlowe noted that the president is authorized by the by-laws to appoint members to a committee and that appointing someone to be in charge of organizing internal club competitions would be possible.
 
2014 Officer Election:
 
President:  Matt Marlowe said that he decided not to run for president in 2014 because two members encouraged him to step down to allow "new blood" to take leadership roles.  Hutch Hutchins agreed to run for president if no one else stepped forward.  No one else did step forward but several members asked that Marlowe run as president again.  Marlowe agreed to run if that was what the club wanted, but, in the interest of democracy, only if Hutch would run as well to provide the members an alternative.  Hutch was not present at the meeting, so the members present proposed that the ballot for president should be between Marlowe and Hutch.  A secret ballot was cast and the vote was Matt Marlowe 9, Hutch 1 (there were only nine voting members present but one vote was cast on behalf of Chris Hallam who was out of town and made prior arrangements to vote).
 
Vice President:  Chris Dignan volunteered to run as vice-president.  There were no other volunteers.  The vote was taken as Yay or Nay.  Dignan won unanimously.
 
Treasurer:  No one volunteered to be treasurer.  The current treasurer, Karen Hallam, agreed to stay on as treasurer if the president and vice-president changed in order to provide continuity.  Since the president did not change, Hallam was not present, and no one else volunteered, the members decided unanimously to postpone the election for treasurer to the January meeting.
 
Secretary:  Brad Butler volunteered to run as secretary.  There were no other volunteers.  The vote was taken as Yay or Nay.  Butler won unanimously.
 
Burgermeister of Education:  The current Burgermeister is Hutch Hutchins.  He was not present to express his interest in running again for 2014 but the club decided to include him on the ballot, assuming he would want to continue in this position.  Aaron Britton expressed an interest in this position as well but he was not there either.  The club decided to put both on the ballot.   A secret ballot was cast and the vote was Aaron Britton 5 and Hutch Hutchins 4.
 
Sergeant-at-Arms:  Two people volunteered for this position, Paul Fuller and Dennis Jedlowski.  A secret ballot was cast and the vote was Paul Fuller 6, Dennis Jedlowski 3.
 
Communications Director:  The club previously had a Communications Czar position that was removed from the by-laws due to lack of interest.  The position was reinstated as an appointed officer position under the name Communications Director.  Jennifer Wrights agreed to handle some of the these responsibilities such as a taking photos during meetings and maintaining the club Facebook pages.  The vote in favor of the appointment was taken as Yay or Nay.  Wrights won unanimously.
 
Photographer/Deputy Director of Communications:  Laura Fuller volunteered to help with taking photos at meetings and was appointed as the Deputy Director of Communications.
 
All ballots were collected and counted by Paula Butler and Greg Runkles.
 
No other business was conducted.
 
Meeting Adjourned.
 
The Club recognized Max Watson for his contribution to the club by often hosting meetings, hosting Oktoberfest, and by being a swell guy.  He was presented with a bottle opener engraved with the club logo.

November Meeting Minutes

posted Nov 17, 2013, 7:33 PM by Matt Marlowe

And again!  Thanks, Patty, meeting minutes attached.

September Meeting Minutes

posted Sep 22, 2013, 12:02 PM by Matt Marlowe

Thanks to Greg/Patty, we have meeting minutes attached below!

Cheers,

Matt
el Presidente

April 2013 Meeting Minutes

posted Apr 22, 2013, 12:59 PM by melissawatson@atlanticbb.net

Please review the meeting minutes and let me know if I need to make any corrections.

2013 AHA Big Brew Day

posted Apr 14, 2013, 5:00 PM by Matt Marlowe   [ updated Apr 14, 2013, 5:00 PM ]

QCHC and Cumberland Trail Connection at Canal Place will host a brewing event for the American Homebrewers Association's annual Big Brew Day.  On May 4, everyone is welcome to join us brew down at CTC (14 Howard St, Canal Place, Cumberland, MD).

Stay tuned to this site for time of the event.

March 2013 Meeting Minutes

posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:17 PM by melissawatson@atlanticbb.net

Queen City Homebrew Club

 

Meeting minutes for 3/3/13

 

           I.      Calling to order

a.    Secretary Melissa Watson conducted meeting and called to order at 2:10

b.   Officers not present were President, Vice President & Treasurer

   II  Brewery Tour

a.    Announced details and dates of brewery tour

b.   Cost is $20 for members and $45 for non-members

c.    Date of tour June 1st

d.   Sold 20 seats, 9 available at writing of minutes

   III Next Meeting

a.    The next meeting date is April 13th

b.   Matt is accepting volunteers to host

c.    Time and place TBA

  IV Upcoming Competitions

a.    Barley Legal 3 will be March 23rd downstate – information on FaceBook

b.   Hop Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA will be June 8th

  V  Future Club Activities

    a. Melissa mentioned need for more club activities and invited suggestions

                    b. Crickets chirped

                    c. Melissa asked people to contact her with any suggestions

  VI Brew Day

a.    Melissa mentioned a member suggesting we do another brew day

b.   Denny J suggested we brew a specific style and follow up with a competition

c.    Hutch volunteered to host a National Brew Day 1st weekend of May

a.    Would be open and advertised to the public

b.   Members could come to the shop and do demo brews for the public to see

  VII Contest Winner

a.    Greg Runkles was the winner of the drawing for the t-shirt

  VIII Meeting Adjournment

a.    Melissa called for a motion to adjourn

b.   Max W. moved

c.    Greg R. seconded the motion

d.   Meeting adjourned 2:25

 

 

 

Minutes submitted by club secretary Melissa Watson 3/5/13

February 2013 Meeting Minutes

posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:51 AM by melissawatson@atlanticbb.net

Queen City Homebrew Club

 

Meeting minutes for 2/16/13

 

           I.      Calling to order

a.    Secretary was not present, minutes are via Matt Marlowe

b.   Called to order at approximately 6:30 PM

   II  Next Meeting

a.    March’s meeting date will be Sunday March 3rd at 2:00 PM

b.   Meeting will be held at Cumberland Trail Connection

c.    Doctor Beer Clinic will be held

   III  Door Prize Winners

a.    Paul F. won a beer style poster

b.   New member Ellen won a Beeriodic Table t-shirt

 

 

 

Minutes submitted by club secretary Melissa Watson 2/22/13

1-10 of 37