Clarendon Women's Institute Celebrate their Centenary
 


Top: Barb Haughton, Sue Page, Elaine MacPhee, Rilla Graham,
Eaine Lang, Beverly Murray, Elsie Sparrow, Lynda Horner (Missing from the group photo were Bonnie Quanbury-Duern and Nora Duncan).

Right:
Clarendon Women's Institue President Elaine Lang, Pontiac County Women's Institute President Elaine MacPhee, Starks Corners Women's Institute President Elaine Richardson
 

The Clarendon Women's Institute held a luncheon in Shawville on April 12, 2017 to celebrate their 100th anniversary. Also in on the party was their sister club from Stark's Corners and members of the Hospital Auxiliary, an organization formed by the Clarendon W.I. 81 years ago! "It's good to celebrate 100 years and think back to our grandmothers and great-grandmothers who got together to help each other and to improve their communities", said Clarendon President Elaine Lang. A moment of remembrance was taken to honour members who had passed away since our last celebration in 2012: Lyle Larone, Gwenyth Strutt, Margaret Hodgins, Marjorie Woodman and Beccie Wilson. A good time was felt by all as the room buzzed with reminiscing, laughter, and companionship.  
Submitted by Sue Page, Clarendon Branch convenor for Publicity and Awareness.

Excerpt from Ville de Dunham newsletter, Quoi de neuf:

2017 : 150e anniversaire de Dunham
Saviez-vous que? En 1911, Mme Elizabeth Ann Beach a convoqué une rencontre pour créer la première Women’s Institute au Québec, inspirée de celle de Stoney Creek (Hamilton, Ont.). Les travaux de l’institut ont attiré l’attention du Macdonald College et il fût décidé par l’organisme, maintenant associé à l’université McGill, de mettre en place des initiatives similaires partout au Québec. Ces initiatives s’appelleront les Homemakers Clubs of Quebec. L’initiative dunhamienne portera ses fruits et en 1919, le Women’s Institute s’organisera au niveau provincial. Mme Beach sera élue première vice-présidente, et finalement présidente pour le Québec.
 
L’organisme existe toujours à Dunham et un monument commémoratif a été érigé au cœur du village devant leur premier lieu de rassemblement, tout juste à côté de l’actuelle caserne d’incendie.
 
Le district Prairie Beach de Dunham est d’ailleurs nommé en l’honneur de cette famille. La maison d’origine (1846) se trouve toujours au
2667, rue Principale.