The Python bootcamp is just 4 days away. We're super excited to meet and work with you all. Here's some important announcements.
1) The Start of the First Day
Registration/checkin will be open from 8:00am to 8:25am on Wednesday (August 19) and we start promptly with the first lecture at 8:30am at the building 50 Auditorium on the LBL campus. A map showing the building 50 auditorium and nearby bus stop is here.
2) Getting to the Venue
You MUST have proper security access to LBL to attend the bootcamp. All those who registered before last Wednesday who are not already LBL employees, should have received an email from "Site Access" (SiteAccess@lbl.gov) with detailed instructions for printing out your bus pass. You will need to bring a physical copy of that pass along with a photo ID to be allowed up the hill. There is no parking at LBL and so you will need to BART/bike/park to near a LBL bus stop and take it to building 50. Instead of taking the bus, you can also walk (and show your pass to the gaurd at the gate). Details on the bus routes are here:
If you have not received your pass, let us know ASAP (cc email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Given the crush of the first day's registration process, we ask that if you can, please plan to arrive well in advance of the 8:30 start time.
3) Getting Python Installed
- Please make sure your installation and testing is complete before this Wednesday. See the Preparation pages.
- You will need to bring your own laptop, so if you dont have access to one now please try to secure access before Wednesday. EXPECT to code.
4) Getting Help before the Bootcamp starts
- If you get stuck on the Preparation instructions, you can get help from us following:
- For those that can't get the issues worked out, we'll have an in-person help session on Tuesday from 1pm to 4 pm at BIDS in Doe Library on the UC Berkeley campus.
5) Getting Help and Asking Questions During the Bootcamp
Our Gitter Chat Room will be open and staffed during the entire bootcamp so you can ask questions of the councilors in real-time. You will need to get a github user account to participate in the room. You'll need a github account during the 2nd day of the bootcamp so it's a good idea to sign up now (for free).
6) Social media
#pyboot will be the official Twitter hashtag.
See you all soon!
Josh and Fernando
Welcome! To those that pre-registered ... you must officially register at the Eventbrite site sent to you in your email from us!
This is the first of a few announcements we expect to send in anticipation of the Python Bootcamp 2015, to be held at LBNL from August 19 to August 21.
1) ACTION REQUIRED: We've had an overwhelming amount of interest this year and thus need you each to formally register for the bootcamp through our Eventbrite site (password: IheartPython2015)
Please do so by AUG 12 @ 2pm to save your spot. YOU ARE NOT GUARANTEED A SPOT UNTIL YOU SIGN UP.
We ask a small fee for everyone associated with the UC and national labs to help defray costs. If the few presents a hardship for you, please email us back. Industry participants will be asked to pay a larger fee, which is substantially less than what bootcamp-for-hire companies charge.
2) In the next ~week we'll be sending emails describing what you'll need to do to get yourself up and running before the bootcamp. Please make sure you can bring a laptop (your own or on loan) for all three days of the bootcamp.
3) This is also the good time to start working through the official Python tutorial if you haven't already:
That's it for now. Enjoy the remainder of your summer!
Josh Bloom and Fernando Perez, on behalf of all the Camp Counselors