3 cups (288 g) blanched almond flour
1 cup (122 g) tapioca starch
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2⁄3 cup (160 ml) warm water
2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons (40 g) honey
1 egg yolk, beaten
Optional toppings: toasted onion flakes, garlic powder, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large pot over high heat, bring about 4 inches (10 cm) of water to a boil. Add a pinch of sea salt.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, starch, salt, and baking powder. Add the water, vinegar, and honey, and mix well.
4. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 equal portions. Dust your hands with additional tapioca starch and roll each section of dough into a ball. Flatten the ball and use your finger to push through the center to make a bagel shape. Place each bagel onto the baking sheet.
5. Working in batches of 3 or 4 bagels, carefully place each bagel into the boiling water for 1 minute (or until they float). Using a slotted spoon, remove them from the water and place them back onto the baking sheet.
6. Bake the boiled bagels for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with the beaten egg yolk, and top as desired. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
7. After baking for a total of 20 minutes, increase the temperature of the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7) and bake for 5 additional minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy.
8. Transfer the bagels to a rack and allow to cool.