History and objectives

http://www.sail-world.com/photo.cfm?NID=65340&Pid=91920&flash&width=1200

“Pt Chevalier Sailing Club 1939”
© Gladwell Collection. Used with permission.

The Point Chevalier Sailing Club was established in 1919 when a group of enthusiasts acquired a piece of land in the area of Joan St and Harbour View Road.  In 1922-23 the club tendered for the defunct Isolation Hospital building and used the timber for the first clubhouse which was opened in 1923. The club become an incorporated society in that same year. Access to the water was an ongoing challenge due to the terrain and no roadway.   Investigation into reclamation sites continued for many years, and finally got traction in the mid-1960s when agreement with the City council was reached for one at the end of Raymond Road. In the late 1980s, the ground started to slip at the old Harbour View Road clubhouse. A new clubhouse was designed for the Raymond St Reserve by architect Alastair Madill, and was opened in 1990.

[source: Point Chevalier Times No. 11 2010, Pt Chevalier Sailing Club Golden Jubilee 1919-1969]

Club objectives:
  • Enable youth to achieve their full potential and to continue to enjoy sailing as a lifetime sport.
  • To further the enjoyment and safety of water activities, particularly yachting, in the local community.
  • To encourage leadership and respect for the marine environment and for people.

Current clubhouse architectural background in files below
Architectural award 1987

Ċ
PCSC Sailingclub,
10 Apr 2014, 12:48
ą
Peter Fletcher,
9 Jul 2016, 22:26
ą
Peter Fletcher,
9 Jul 2016, 22:26
ą
Peter Fletcher,
9 Jul 2016, 22:27