ebooks available free or cheap
Welcome to the Takoma Park Elementary School PTA. The
PTA is a vital part of our school's community. We work closely with
parents, students, staff, teachers and administrators to enhance the
educational experience of our children, to celebrate our community, and
to recognize the work of the professionals and volunteers who make it
all happen. We also serve as a collective voice for children families to advocate for policies and procedures that impact our lives. This website, along with the PTA
listserv, is a resource center, an information clearinghouse
and a gathering place for the entire TPES community. We encourage you
to return frequently for news and - above all - to stay informed and
Not yet a member? You can join online here or print the membership form and return in your child's Dolphin Folder!
Latest Info (April2014)
- Volunteers needed for the TPES Art Show! The art show will be on May 6, and art installation will be ongoing in the week leading up to the big day. Please sign up here to help out! Contact Ms. Ward for more information: Amy_E_Ward@mcpsmd.org.
- Live Outside the Box! TPES will be participating in a screen-free week, coming soon! Keep your eyes peeled for more information, and check out this classic (updating "TV" to TV, phones, iPads, games...): The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV.
(March 2014) Ready, Set, Read!
TPES is holding its first ever Readathon! When it's too cold to go back out in the snow, and the socks are still drying, it's a GREAT time to curl up with a book and log some marathon minutes. Reading time is counted as reading, OR being read to. Snuggle up!
See how the Readathon works, read the letter to parents, and download copies of the Readathon Calendar and Sponsor form here
Every Friday children will bring in their Reading Calendars, and a volunteer will add up how many minutes the whole grade has read. When grades reach milestone numbers, they get rewards like extra recess and dance parties!
What to read?
If your child is in any danger of running out of books to read, consider selections from these great lists:
Anyone able to access this page can also read ebooks from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or best yet, our local libraries!
- Thank you for a fantastic Scholastic Book Fair!
- Weigh in on the issue of new Bell Times in Montgomery County. Learn more about Superintendent Joshua P. Starr's recommendations and the Bell Times Working Group, then contribute to the conversation by email.
- Watch Principal Gadsden's presentation to parents on the reading curriculum at TPES.
- Explore the incredible works of TPES artists! Bookmark the TPES art rooms on Artsonia and ShutterFly today (see the TPES PTA listserv for details).
- Watch Principal Gadsden's math presentation to parents! Click here, and turn on your audio: TPES Math.
- Check out the current TPES PTA Newsletter!
- Room Parent sign-up! Sign up here to volunteer as a room parent with your child's teacher, or favorite specialist.
- TPES Summer Parent Letter. The school posted its letter to parents and other important information about the next school year on its website.
- Quick Reference for School Contact Information
- President's Letter, 2013
- Join the PTA
- Thanks for Three Spectacular Events! April was a jam-packed month for TPES, with International Night, the Second Annual Parent vs. Teacher Basketball Game, and the TKPK 5K Safe Routes to School Challenge. Thanks to MANY volunteers, we learned about other cultures, got some exercise, danced, raised money, and had a blast watching the basketball game of the year! The PTA would also like to thank two local small businesses, Roger Miller Restaurant (donated wonderful African food!) and Pizza Roma (provided big discounts on their pizza for many of our school functions).
- New Dolphin Gear is here.
The PTA is excited to introduce two new high-quality Dolphin Pride products - BPA-free water bottles and hot/cold drink tumblers. We've also replenished our supply of TPES T-shirts, so if your child's size was missing before, we have it now! You can order online here - delivery through Dolphin Mail.
- The PTA's Social Services Committee is sponsoring a gift card drive to help families in the TPES community. Gift cards allow a family to purchase the food, toiletries, clothes, and other items that they need the most. Our school counselor, Ms. Golden, will distribute the cards on an as-needed basis. See the flyer for more information on how to help.
- Thanks to the PTA Development Committee
(Jessica Kessler, Natascha Blain, Caroline Fernandez, and Fred Azcarate), TPES has been awarded a $2,000 grant from the Takoma Foundation for English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) activities.