In this class, you will learn about:
- Characteristics of scholarly journal articles
- Library databases
- Locating Psychology journal articles in print in the Library and online in the databases
- Where to get help
***In each of the library's databases, look for common features:***
- Advanced search screens
- Abstracts (summaries of articles)
- Links to full-text articles (HTML or PDF)
- Save/Print/Email options
- Bibliographic information for your Works Cited pages
| || |
A collection of 21
databases featuring primarily popular magazines, peer-reviewed scholarly journals, and newspapers.
is a good database to start your research on most topics...
but for this class, we're going to search: Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Limit by "Full Text" to be able to link to articles online
- Limit by "Fullerton College Library Collection" to see what we have in our print collection
- Limit by "Peer Reviewed" to view scholarly articles
| ||Gale Virtual Reference Library: |
- A comprehensive collection of encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries, and other reference tools.
More how-to videos
are available on YouTube. View videos about advanced searching, bookmarking, and more.
| || |
Contains over 1,000 academic journals and other scholarly content. Access to our full-text subscriptions to:
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychology Quarterly
- Partial access is available to American Journal of Psychology
|eBook Collection in EBSCOhost - Search and view the full text of eBooks. |
- Search eBooks by linking from the FC Library catalog or selecting eBooks Collection while in EBSCOhost
- off-campus access available
Google Scholar - In Google Scholar, select "Articles and Patents."
- Search on your topic
- You will see thousands of articles that we do not subscribe or have access to.
- On the right side of the screen, you will see links to the articles that are available freely online. (These articles are usually available through .edu sites.)
- If you see a link to EBSCO, it means we have it available through our EBSCO subscription. If you're on campus or logged into EBSCO, you should be able to link to the article.
- This should not be the only place you do research. Our access to articles through Google Scholar is too limited to do thorough research on your topic.
| || |
FC Library Catalog
From the Library's homepage at http://library.fullcoll.edu/:
- Click on FIND BOOKS
- In the Online Catalog, use the drop-down menu to limit your searches. (Remember to click on the down arrow to change your search type.)
- Locate an item's:
- call number (example: KF5402.Z9 G4 1997)
- status (is the item available, checked out, on Reserve, etc.)
- Search the catalog for the print journals available in the Periodicals area on the 2nd Floor of the Library. Here you'll find our subscriptions to:
- Journal of Abnormal Psychology
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
- Journal of Experimental Psychology
- Journal of General Psychology
- And more!
You can contact Fullerton College librarians via several Ask A Librarian services:
- phone (714-732-5694)
- in person (check here for hours)