St. Joseph's-PS1 Panoramic Scene 


St.Joe-PS1Scene.mov

A scene linking the intersection of Catherine and Monroe Street to Madison and Monroe Street on the Lower East Side

St. Joseph's Church is on Monroe St and PS1 is on Madison, 1 block NW (approx).Background: St. Joseph’s Church at 5 Monroe Street was built in 1925 to serve the Italian population. Its parishioners are now 70% Chinese. In mid-August, it hosts the annual St. Rocco’s feast, once held at St. Joachim’s Church, where Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini, the first U.S. citizen to be declared a saint by the Roman Catholic Church, began her ministry in 1889. She established a network of hospitals and social services extending from New York to Chicago, Golden, Colorado, and Seattle. Despite protests by former parishioners including Jimmy Durante, the church was demolished in 1959 to build apartments.
P.S.1 at Oliver and Henry streets, a school dating from 1806 attended by Eddie Cantor, Jimmy Durante, and Luther Vandross, among others.


This is the first in a series of panoramic scenes linked to the book Life on the Lower East Side: Photographs by Rebecca Lepkoff, 1937-1950 (Hardcover) by Peter E. Dans and Suzanne Wasserman. The descriptions (above) come from Peter Dans' accompanying brochure, entitled "There Once Was A Neighborhood," for an exhibit associated with the book at the South Street Seaport Museum. On 8/7/07 Mr. Dans will be present to discuss the book.

Home