Leader, Writer, Trainer
Objective: Help students and schools move from turnaround status to
Management and Facilitation
- Managed $1,000,000 budget during difficult
economic times. Created 5 year model of over 20 revenue and expense factors to
assist board in planning for future.
- Led school board meetings as President and staff
meetings as Principal. Participated in board meetings for 14 years (Colorado
Common Cause, Clear Creek School District,
and Georgetown Community School).
- Have owned, operated, and managed own business
- Received a Master’s Degree in Public
Administration and attended Charter School Business Manager and other charter
school networking meetings.
- Facilitated over 100 community public meetings
for successful bond, mil levy, and override election to build Clear Creek
High School and help with
district operating expenses.
- Available to conduct courses in management
effective use of software, budgeting, agenda building, and brainstorming (e.g.
The 6 Hats, 5 Whys …).
- Reviewed charter application for new schools and Unified Improvement Plans for schools in the bottom 5% of schools in Colorado.
- Trained over 5,000 adults on computer software
(Excel and Access focus on data management and analysis, Word and PowerPoint
helpful for reports, lesson plans and review games).
- Adult learning theory from practical experience
and courses (latest was at CAEYC March 5, 2011 – Colorado Trainer Approval).
- Criticism: Many teacher and corporate training
courses do not model good training practices for adults. It is often a
PowerPoint/lecture brain dump. Instead, what is needed is
pre-assessment/post-assessment, tailoring to audience, think time, discussions,
differentiation, and hands-on.
- Available to evaluate professional development
for various parts of organization and conduct classes for adults as well as
- I have substantial experience in high stress
situations (Principal, Teacher in highest poverty school in state). I’m
empathetic and have a lot of experience with different people’s stress and
thinking about how to manage stress.
- Available to lead a course for employees and as
a personal coach to help design a personal plan for measurement and stress
- Extensive experience and training with various
assessments: NWEA MAPS, CSAP.
- Statistics courses in college and by using Excel
(regression, sample size, probability).
- Experimental design as a science major
- Developed Unified Improvement Plan for our
organization which included analyzing data, determining root causes, setting
priorities, and developing an action plan. Took classes from Colorado Department
of Education and helped turnaround schools by providing feedback for their
- Available to help management and staff evaluate
data and develop an action plan.
Lesson Planning and School Design
- Colorado Department of Education State Review Panel for school turnaround improvement plans and Colorado League of Charter Schools evaluator for charter start-up plans.
- Teacher and Principal for 10 years. My
experience has been with infants, toddlers, preschool, elementary, middle
school, and high school.
- Corporate trainer for 13 years.
- Familiarity with state standards, testing,
courses and reading in Classroom Instruction that Works, Curriculum Alignment,
Understanding by Design, Teacher Evaluation, Differentiation, 21st Century
Learning, Response to Intervention, and Autism.
- Available to review, develop, and write courses
at all levels.
Classroom and School Management
- Teacher and Principal for 10 years.
- Courses and readings in Love and Logic,
Medication Administration, Emergency Procedures.
- Available for class and school observations and
to facilitate brainstorming to solve challenges in the classroom, school, and
Writing and Communication
- Author of over 50 books. Produced staff and
community newsletters and communications for over 4 years.
- Produced and involved in marketing materials for
own business, school, and school district.
- Author of news articles (Colorado Statesman) and
press releases and communication.
- As Principal and School Board member- Point of
contact for staff, students, parents, potential employees, community members,
voters, vendors, GCS board members, county commissioners, district leadership
team, police department, fire department, health department, and Human Services
(early childhood licensing and abuse cases).
- Available to research and create reports or
- Manager of 2nd and 3rd year start-up
grant from CDE Schools of Choice and report for Walton start-up grant.
- Attended Rural Development Conference, took
classes, and did 2 minute grant presentation for 6 donors and received 3 green
lights and 3 yellow lights.
- Recipient of grants from Colorado Department of
Education, League of Charter Schools, Freeport McMoRan, Anschutz Family
Foundation, and Target.
- Available to be a grant coach or help write
- Kids First/PRW (Idaho Springs, CO) 1988 to present – Business Owner.
- Eaglebridge International School (Dandong, China) - 2013 - 2014 - Head Principal.
- Voyager Education Services, Cambium Learning 2012- Learning Management Specialist.
- Georgetown Community School (Georgetown CO) 2007-2012 – Principal and consultant.
- Jefferson Academy (Broomfield, CO) 2004-2007 – Computer Teacher.
- Clear Creek Public Schools 2000-2007 – School Board including President.
- Lake Middle School (Denver, CO) 2001-2003 – Teacher of Science and Language
- U S WEST/Qwest (Denver, CO) 2000-2001 – Training
Manager for Help Desk.
American World Airways (New York, NY) 1987 Senior
- Master’s Degree – Public Administration, University of Colorado, Denver 1989
- Bachelor’s Degree – International Environment, Colorado College 1981
- Griffith University (Brisbane, Australia) Environmental Studies 1979
Summary by Date
- Kids First/PRW 1988 to present – Review turnaround plans and charter school startup plans. Owner, writer, consultant and instructor of thousands of adults. Author of over 50 technical books and online curriculum.
- Eaglebridge International School - 2013 - 2014 - Head Principal - Startup a new International School in Dandong China.
- Voyager Education Services, Cambium Learning - 2012 - Learning Management Specialist. Created online learning and coaching Web sites. Facilitated virtual coaching and meeting via AdobeConnect, NetMeeting and other platforms. Transferred on-line courses from Angel to Moodle. Created successful Request for Proposals to state departments of education and school districts for turnaround services and professional development.
Georgetown Community School 2007 to 2012 – Principal of charter elementary school from infants through 6th grade. Managed $1,000,000 budget and 20 staff members. Consultant after I left.
Academy 2004 to 2007 – Teacher of high school technology and Marine Biology.
- Clear Creek Public Schools 2000-2006 – member, treasurer, secretary, vice president, president. Substitute teacher for high school and middle school classes.
- Society of
Children's Book Writers and Illustrators 1993-2006 – meeting organizer, books
sales, conference registrar.
- AGORA School district committee to
retain students 2004-2005, member.
- Clear Creek
Education Foundation 2004-2008 - Member, fundraiser, grant distribution.
- Clear Creek
County Education Community 1999-2008 -
online discussion group moderator.
- People to People 2003 to 2005 –
Student Delegation Leader to England/France and Hawaii (volunteer) – monthly meetings,
- National Endowment for Financial Education 2004 to 2006 – PRW contract work. Created online education materials for Colorado Student Loan Program and copyedited materials for League of United Latin American Citizens, Native American Community Development Corporation, and others.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2003 – Teacher intern – created documentation for photovoltaic cell procedures and co-wrote science curriculum on solar energy.
- Denver Museum of
Nature and Science (Ecuador) 6/2002 - Ecology and
Culture of the Galapagos Islands and the
Amazon Educator Travel Program.
- U S WEST/Qwest 2000 to 2001 –
Training Manager for Help Desk. Supervised, evaluated, setup, trained
departmental technical and soft-skills trainers and employees.
- Lake Middle
School 2001 to 2003 – Teacher of Science and Language Arts.
- Citizens for Improved Education 1999-2000 - Chairman.
- Clear Creek School District Budget Advisory 1996-1998 - Chairman.
- Clear Creek County Imagine Education Excellence 1997-1999 - Facilitator.
- Clear Choice School Bond 1998 - Facilitator.
- Metz Elementary School Building Accountability
Advisory Committee 1992-1995
Member and Chair.
American World Airways 1987 - Senior Financial Analyst.
editor, advertising copywriter, writer (1977-1978, 1984-1985).