Super.Nintendo.Portable

My first major project. The Cornerstone of this site, and all of my projects. 

Home

Major Projects

Minor Projects

Future.Projects

Links

This project has been revisited.

This project took me 1.5 years to complete. From the time I joined http://Benheck.com in November 2005, to July 2007. But I learned a HELL of a lot.

For the gallery of pictures, go here: SNESp.Photo.Gallery

Since there are numerous detailed SNESp how-to's on Benheck, as well as pictures of the guts and build, I will mostly be covering the final project. (Also, my boards are mangled from n00b soldering at near-random locations.)

I destroyed 3 SNES boards as well as 1 screen. The total cost exceeded $500 CAD. But it was worth it.

Numerous times I felt completely disappointed and discouraged, and felt like ditching the project altogether. But in the end, I made one hell of a first portable.

I tried many different designs, first with a relocated cartridge slot (2 of the SNES boards broke due to failed relocation, probably caused by the conductive flux I used) and then with a non-relocated one. I decided to cheat after spending roughly $150 and a total of 8 weeks of waiting for items to be shipped from the States. The total design was a completely original idea, although it closely resembles many others.

Features: 

- Still acts as a fully-functional SNES, complete with controller, A/V, and cartridge ports.

- Since I managed to destroy the on-board audio amp on the screen, the external audio amp can go really, really loud. Also, the power switch has the option of shutting the entire amp off, saving power and creating 100% silent play.

- The Volume adjuster is a slide, by pure coincidence, and it is AWESOME! (It was the only audio pot left in the house that I could use!)

- Option to switch between on-board and external first-player controller.

- Seamless design. All corners are rounded. Looks like one chunk of melted plastic instead of two!

- 6 LED-modded screen. 

Things I removed:

These are not so much removed as unable to be reached because they ceased to be useful.

- Screen Brightness/Volume Buttons. (Brightness is always set to max,  Volume is no longer adjusted by the screen.)

- Headphone Jack (No use for it, could put it on if i cared) 

- Original power connector

- Lots and lots of spare cash

- Some dignity 

- Lots of blood

- Several tears (joking)

- N00b soldering skills 

Things that aren't 100%:

- FIXED Major heat issues (think Xbox 360). I will put some additional regulators in when I can bear to tear it open again. The thing gets so hot the screen goes black on one side after 1-2 hours of play. It makes a nice curve, you could pinpoint the regulator's location exactly from it.

- FIXED Left shoulder button doesn't give a "click" when pressed. It may be jammed down by some strayed epoxy, but it still works. It clicks up. Odd.

- FIXED D-pad is really messed. All the buttons press at least one other button as well.

- Paint job has minor flaws all around the sides where the two pieces merge.

- Buttons have some paint on the sides.

- Pins on the cartridge slot are a little bent and deformed. Plays 100%, though. 

- X and R both press X and R simultaneously.

- The screen flickers a little. The new DC/DC converter (new power supply) lacks a filter capacitor on the output voltage. Only noticeable on solid static colours. In-game, it is not noticeable at all.

Things that I am 100% satisfied with:

- The vacuum forming went wonderfully and flawlessly. The best part of this project was watching the softened plastic get sucked on to the mold. Nothing went wrong! The table didn't leak at all! Amazing! Exclamation marks!!1!!!1!!one!

- The back. The part where it curves up is flawless. The paint job is prefect on this part. The curves are smooth. It looks wonderful.

- The buttons click great!

- I adore the volume slide.  It matches all the switches. They are all parallel.