(Adapted from Ashley Thomas’ Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe)
(print the Slow Cooker version of Butter Chicken)
Serves 8 – 10
Use a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
3½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
¼ cup butter (or ghee or oil)
1 large onion, diced (about 3 cups)
10 garlic cloves, minced
2-inch knob ginger, minced
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
2 red bell peppers, chopped in large pieces (or green bell pepper)
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cups canned coconut cream (or canned coconut milk)
1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves (“kasoori methi” – I ordered it online. Ashley says it gives butter chicken its unique taste. There’s no substitute that I know of, so just omit it if you don’t have it.)
Cilantro for garnish, optional
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are starting to brown. (This will take 6 – 8 minutes.)
2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the spices and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the chicken. Stir so it is well coated with the spices. Then cook, stirring often, for about 4 – 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the chicken and spices to a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker.
6. Add the tomato sauce and red pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
7. Set the slow cooker to cook on Low for 5 hours.
8. Stir in the coconut cream (or milk) and fenugreek leaves.
9. Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro, if desired.