Roasted Eggplant with Anchovies and Oregano
(Adapted, barely, from Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe in Ottolenghi SIMPLE)
3 or 4 medium eggplants, about 2 pounds total weight, sliced into ¾-inch thick rounds
½ teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and finely chopped
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon salt
About ¼ teaspoon freshly ground Black pepper
1 tablespoon oregano leaves
¼ cup Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oven to 450°.
2. Put the eggplant slices in a large bowl. Sprinkle the ½ teaspoon of salt over them and toss them with your hands to distribute the salt.
3. Line a large (21 x 15 x 1 in) baking sheet (or 2 smaller baking sheets) with parchment paper. Spread the eggplant slices out on the baking sheet. Measure out 2½ tablespoons of olive oil and brush all of it over the eggplant slices. Turn the slices over and brush another 2½ tablespoons of olive oil on the other side.
4. Roast the eggplant for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool a bit.
5. Mix together the chopped anchovies, vinegar, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the pepper in a small bowl. Slowly pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the mixture while whisking until the ingredients are well combined. At this point the eggplant and dressing can be set aside at room temperature until you’re ready to serve.
6. When it’s time to serve, put the eggplant, oregano, and parsley in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the eggplant, toss gently and serve.