Roast Chicken with Cabbage
(Adapted from Deb Perelman’s Roast Chicken with Schmaltzy Cabbage on Smitten Kitchen)
The timing will depend on the size of your chicken. Deb had a 3-pound chicken and suggested a 45 – 60 minute roast time. My 4-pound chicken took 1 hour and 15 minutes. It’s best to use an instant read thermometer to confirm when the chicken is done. The thickest part of the thigh should measure 165° when it is done.
1 large head (2½ - 3 pounds) green cabbage
Splash of oil, any kind
Freshly ground pepper
1 whole chicken (mine was 4 pounds)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Heat the oven to 450°.
2. Stand the cabbage up on a cutting board with the core end on the bottom. Cut the cabbage in half from top to bottom. Put the cabbage halves cut side down. Slice the halves crosswise into 1 – 1½-inch slices.
3. Put the splash of oil in a 12-inch oven-safe skillet and spread it around with a paper towel.
4. Arrange the cabbage slices in the skillet, cutting them, if necessary, to make them fit tightly. Sprinkle the cabbage with salt and pepper.
5. If your chicken has giblets in the cavity, remove them and discard or save for another use.
6. Pat the chicken dry and place it on top of the cabbage. Brush 1 tablespoon of the melted butter over the chicken. Use about 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and rub it all over the chicken. Grind some pepper all over the chicken.
7. Roast the chicken breast side up. Set the timer for 1 hour for a 4-pound chicken.
8. After 20 minutes, spoon another tablespoon of the melted butter over the chicken and cabbage. Repeat this basting another couple of times during the roasting.
9. Check the temperature of the chicken after an hour. If the temperature is not 165°, roast for another 15 minutes. Mine was done at this point. Continue to roast and check if yours is not done.
10. When the chicken is done, put it on a cutting board to rest.
11. Put the cabbage back in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes, until the edges are browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
12. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the cabbage.