(Adapted from Lauren Rothman’s recipe on Serious Eats)
Makes about 5 cups
½ small (2-pound) green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
½ medium white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 small jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar (or 1 packet of Truvia, or ¾ teaspoon bulk Truvia)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Put the cabbage, onion, carrots, and jalapeno in a large bowl.
2. Heat the cider vinegar, sugar (or Truvia), and salt in a small saucepan, stirring just until the sugar and the salt is dissolved.
3. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables and toss well to distribute.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. Remove from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature before serving.