(Inspired by Michelle Tam’s recipe on Nom Nom Paleo)
(I had leftover squash that I refrigerated to use later. To serve 4, use all of the squash and double the sauce ingredients.)
1(2½ - 3 pound) spaghetti squash
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 – 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
½ pound ground beef
1½ cups good quality jarred tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
To cook the squash in an Instant Pot (I have suggested a couple of links in the blog post above if you want to bake the squash in the oven.)
1. Wash the squash and cut it in half across the diameter. (I have read that you get longer strands when you cut it this way instead of end-to-end.)
2. Scoop out the seeds.
3. Put the squash cut-side up on the Instant Pot rack in the pot.
4. Add the 1 cup of water to the pot.
5. Seal the lid. Using the Manual mode, set the time for 7 minutes.
6. In about 20 minutes, when the Instant Pot is done cooking, use the quick release.
7. Using a fork, scoop out the squash strands.
Prepare the sauce while the squash is cooking
1. Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are browned a bit.
3. Add the ground beef to the pan, breaking it up as you put it in. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through and browned a bit.
4. Add the tomato sauce and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir and cook until the sauce is hot.
5. Serve the sauce over the spaghetti squash.