(Inspired by Serious Eats’ J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and Cook’s Illustrated’s Andrea Geary)
You do need a steamer. My pan has a steamer insert, but you can use a collapsible steamer. I would put a collapsible steamer in the pan and let the water come to a boil. Then lower your eggs onto the steamer with a large spoon.
1. Bring ¾ - 1 inch of water to a boil in a pan.
2. When the water is boiling, add the eggs in a steamer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and set the timer for 13 minutes.
3. When the eggs are almost done, prepare an ice bath.
4. When the timer goes off, remove the eggs from the steamer and place them in the ice bath for 15 minutes.
5. Eggs can be used right away or refrigerated in their shells until needed.
6. Too peel, gently pound the egg on a flat surface and roll it a bit and then slip off the shell!