Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy
(Adapted from a Julia Child recipe in The Way to Cook)
Makes about 4¾ cups, serving 12
9 tablespoons turkey fat, skimmed from the top of refrigerated Make-Ahead Turkey Stock
3 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
6 cups turkey broth
1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional; adds umami, not fishy flavor)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt the butter in the turkey fat over medium heat.
2. When the butter is melted, add the flour to make the roux. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 – 15 minutes. The roux will turn brown.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour a small amount of the broth into the roux and whisk vigorously until it is smooth and lump-free.
4. Whisk in the rest of the broth. Whisk in the fish sauce, if using.
5. Put the pan back on the burner; reduce the heat so it is just simmering. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
6. Refrigerate the gravy until it is chilled. Then freeze it. Defrost on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally.