Fiasco-style Beans (Fagioli al Fiasco)
(Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s recipe on 101cookbooks.com)
1 pound dried cranberry or cannellini beans, soaked overnight
6 cups water
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
7 medium sage leaves
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Scant 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. Set the oven temperature to 225° and put the rack in the bottom third.
2. Drain the beans and put them in a large ovenproof pot. Add all of the other ingredients except the salt. Bring the pot to a boil.
3. Put the lid on the pot, leaving it slightly off to leave a small crack. Put the pot in the oven to bake for 2 hours.
4. Check the beans after a few minutes to make sure they are gently simmering. Adjust the temperature to 250° if necessary.
5. After 90 minutes in the oven, add the salt and stir. You can add a bit more water if they are getting too dry. Bake them for 30 more minutes.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature.