(Adapted from Ashley Thomas’ Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe)
Generously serves 4 (easily doubles)
1¾ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons butter (or ghee or oil)
½ large onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch knob ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 red bell pepper, chopped in large pieces (or green bell pepper)
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup canned coconut cream (or canned coconut milk)
½ teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves (“kasoori methi” – I ordered it online. Ashley says it gives butter chicken its unique taste. There’s no substitute that I know of, so just omit it if you don’t have it.)
Cilantro for garnish, optional
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are starting to brown. (This will take 6 – 8 minutes.)
2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the spices and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the chicken. Stir so it is well coated with the spices. Then cook, stirring often, for about 4 – 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomato sauce and red pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil then cover. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut cream and fenugreek leaves and simmer for another minute or so.
7. Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro, if desired.