Cheesy, Spicy Black Bean Bake
(Adapted from Ali Slagle’s recipe in the New York Times)
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
¼ cup tomato paste
1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup boiling water
Kosher salt and black pepper
1½ cups grated Cheddar or Manchego cheese (from about a 6-ounce block) (I used 6 ounces of Tillamook Medium Cheddar.)
1. Preheat the oven to 475°.
2. Heat a 10-inch oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. When it’s hot, add the oil and let it heat up.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until it’s lightly golden.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, pepper flakes, and cumin. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
5. Stir in the beans, water, and a bit of salt and pepper.
6. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake until it is melted, about 5 – 10 minutes.