Swedish Meatballs with Cream Sauce (recipe from Ikea's Real Swedish Food Book )
- 250gm minced beef
- 250gm minced pork
- 1 egg
- 200-300 ml cream and water (or milk and water) (I used half milk and half water)
- 2½ Tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 50 ml unsweetened rusk flour (I used ½ cup of breadcrumbs.)
- 2 cold boiled potatoes
- 4-5 Tbsp butter, margarine or oil
- salt, white pepper (allspice)
- Heat the onion till golden in a couple of tablespoons of lightly browned butter.
- Mash the potatoes and moisten the rusk flour in a little water.
- Mix all the ingredients into a smooth mixture of the right
consistency and flavour generously with salt, white pepper and
(optional) a little fine-crushed allspice.
- Use a pair of spoons rinsed in water, shape the mixture into
relatively large, round balls and transfer to a floured chopping board,
then fry them slowly in plenty of butter.
Ingredients of cream sauce:
- 100 ml cream
- 200 ml water or beef stock
- Chinese soya sauce (I used 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce.)
- 1 Tbsp white flour
- salt, white pepper
- Swirl the water or beef stock in a pan. (Cook over medium heat.)
- Add cream and thicken with white flour if preferred. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meatballs with the sauce, freshly boiled potatoes (I used
extra potatoes to make mashed potato), uncooked lingonberry jam and
Source: Swedish Meatballs with Cream Sauce