Home‎ > ‎More details‎ > ‎

George Young family

George Young

Country of origin: Yorkshire, England
Areas in New Zealand: Hokianga, Kapiti, Chatham Islands, Port Nicholson.
Source: Paperspast

Details: Evening Post, 29 August 1884, Page 3

Death of a Veteran Colonist. 
Another of the veteran pioneers has passed away in the person of Mr George Young, who died yesterday at the residence of Mrs Firth, Maroribanks Street, in his 77th year. He was well known in the early days of the colony as " Jordie" Young. He arrived in New Zealand in February, 1830, at Hokianga, in the New Zealander schooner. Captain Clarke. He there left her and joined the Prince of Denmark, a flax and pork trader, and proceeded to Sydney, Captain Stewart (who discovered Stewart's Island, which is named after him), being master of the vessel. At Sydney Young joined the Dragon, brig, 180 tons, of Hobarton, and acted as trading master in a voyage to Kapiti, searching for flax; but, not procuring a full cargo there, he came on to Port Nicholson ( Wellington), and took in flax and logs at the Eritonga (Hutt) in September, 1830. He then returned to Kapiti and took in more flax.

While at Kapiti the Elizabeth arrived from Sydney. She was an armed brig (all vessels at this time trading amongst the natives were armed), and Young was present when John Cowell, the master of the Elizabeth, made an agreement with the natives to convey Te Rauparaha and a number of warriors to Akaroa. After committing frightful murders there they returned to Kapiti, where Young and the captain of the Dragon went on board the Elizabeth and saw the decapitated heads of those slain by Te Rauparaha and his followers, and also some prisoners who were in irons in the hold of the vessel. Young afterwards left Kapiti for Hobarton, and after making several trading trips to New Zealand from Hobarton and Sydney joined a sealing party at Preservation Inlet, and proceeded in the Lucy Ann, Captain Worth, to the Chatham Islands. After remaining some months at the Chatham Islands he came back to Port Nicholson, where he remained till 1833. When the barque Caroline, Captain Blinkensopp, put into Fort Nicholson, he joined her on a whaling cruise.

In 1834 he landed in Cloudy Bay in charge of a shore party at Kakapo (Guard's Bay), and the whaling season over, went to Queen Charlotte's Sound. He whaled there for one season, 1835, and crossed the Straits in his own boat to Port Nicholson, where, with the permission of the natives, he built a house at Rau-rumu (Thorndon beach). In 1836 he crossed the Straits again and joined Geordie Toms' (also called Geordie Bolt) whaling party in Queen Charlotte’s Sound. The season over, Young returned to Port Nicholson, and found the Lord Rodney, Captain Harewood, lying there. The natives who embarked pretended to take the vessel, and landed Young and five of his companions at Somes Island, and kept them there prisoners for six weeks, while the Lord Rodney made a trip to the Chatham Islands. The natives (Ngatametuna) who went in the Lord Rodney made a frightful slaughter among the natives there. On the return of the Lord Rodney in the early part of 1837, Young and his party were robbed by the Port Nioholson natives, but escaped one night in their boats to Queen Charlotte's Sound where they remained till 1833.

He then whaled a season at Waikanae, and went over to Kapiti and formed a partnership, well known in the early days— Daymond and Young — and whaled there the season of 1839, when he crossed the Straits to Queen Charlotte's Sound to bring the Samuel Winter, Captain Robertson, to Kapiti. In crossing the Straits on lst January, 1840, Young sighted the barque Cuba, Captain Newcombe (the second vessel sent out by the New Zealand Company), about five miles from Kapiti. The Cuba anchored at Kapiti one night, and Young acted as pilot to take her to Port Nicholson, where she arrived on 4th January, 1840. He acted as interpreter at Port Nicholson for Captain Smith, R.A., and the party on board the Cuba, and on 21st January, 1840, he went outside Barrett's reef to the Aurora, Captain Heale, and on the following day, 22nd January 1840, beat the Aurora into Port Nicholson, and anchored her under Somes Island.

Mr Young, on the formation of the settlement, made his permanent residence in Port Nicholson, and took to the profitable trade of hotelkeeping. He married the widow of Mr. Pearce, one of the earliest settlers. For many years, he was well-known as Captain Young. He was born in Loftus, Yorkshire, England, on 10th December, 1808. He was amongst the last of the pioneers of civilisation in New Zealand, the sealers and whalers. His funeral this morning was attended by a number of old settlers. For some years, Mr. Young was very feeble, and was not much out.