Home‎ > ‎More details‎ > ‎

Wallis Family

James Wallis
Mrs Wallis

before 1836
Country of origin:
Area in New Zealand: Hokianga, Kaipara, Raglan
Source: Paperspast Waitangi Tribunal


In November 1836, the Wesleyan missionary James Wallis negotiated with the chiefs Tirarau of Te Parawhau and Paikea of Te Uri o Hau for a site for a mission station at Tangiteroria on the Upper Wairoa River at Kaipara harbour. James Buller took over this mission station and James Wallis moved down to Raglan.

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XV, Issue 1151, 9 July 1858, Page 5

Mr. Wallis has resided as a Missionary in Whaingoroa for the last 18 or 20 years, and from his earnest and attentive discharge of his religious duties is both honored and esteemed among both Europeans and Maoris. In temporal matters he is a landowner, and except it be established that because a man be a clergyman he must not provide for his family, or buy land in the public market, I cannot learn that anything can be said on that head. From him, as they have dropped down, many of our settlers have received active assistance, and all of us have had, or might have had, the benefit of his courtesy, advice, and local experience. Perhaps I could not exemplify this better than by the Hazlitt family, when they came to Whaingaroa, Mr. Wallis took him, his wife, and his family into his house and kept them there for weeks, till after she was confined, and they could get a hut up, what since he has given them in the shape of food, &c, is probably known but to themselves— even of late, when Hazlitt pleased to loiter in gaol and leave his wife (near her time again) to her chance, to whom did the poor woman first apply for advice and assistance? to Mr. Wallis, who generously looked after her at the very time when her husband was planning how be could annoy and defame himi I remain, Sir, Your most obedient servant, W. Harsant. Raglan. June 28th,

Star , Issue 5303, 6 July 1895, Page 7
DEATH OF A MISSIONARY. The Rev James Wallis, Wesleyan Missionary, died at Auckland yesterday, from bronchitis; aged eighty-seven. On Dec. 1, 1824, Mr and Mrs Wallis arrived in Hokianga. Mr Wallis helped to build the Mission Church in that district. In 1835 he went to Whangaroa. He has been a supernumerary for many years. He leaves a grown-up family. One of his daughters is married to the Rev G. Brown, of the New Guinea Mission.

Otago Witness , Issue 2035, 23 February 1893, Page 20
The death of a New Zealand pioneer and a member of one of the oldest families of the Wesleyan mission, Mrs Wallis, wife of the Rev. James Wallis, of Mount Eden road, is announced by the New Zealand Herald. Mrs Wallis came to the New Zealand mission field in 1837, three years before this was proclaimed a British colony. After a brief stay at Hokianga, the headquarters of the Wesleyan mission, she and her husband moved to Kaipara and spent over a year there. In 1839 Mr Wallis was selected to establish a new mission station at Waingaroa South, Raglan. There for three and twenty years he and his wife resided and brought up their large family. In 1863 severe domestic sickness obliged them to leave Raglan. They resided for three years in Onehunga, and since 1866 their home was in Auckland.