Home‎ > ‎More details‎ > ‎

Luke Wade family

Mr and Mrs Luke Wade

Country of origin: England
Area in New Zealand: Bay of Islands, Whangaroa, Hokianga
Source: NLA Australian newspapers

Details:  Richard Cheer's story.
Richard arrived back in Sydney on Vansittart on August 11 1820 and spent 19 days in port before sailing for the fisheries on August 30. On this voyage, Vansittart visited New Zealand in October 1820 for 10 days, in May 1821 when two crew (John Lydiard and Luke Wade) jumped ship.

Luke Wade was a "professional sailmaker who had left a whaling ship in the Bay of Islands. Although not yet "pious" he was steady and well-behaved and had been engaged as a general servant 15 months earlier" (stated in 1823)
source ; John Hobbs 1800-1883;  by TMI Williment

In 1818 Samuel Leigh, a Methodist minister stationed at Sydney, visited New Zealand and on his return to England he proposed to the W.M.S. that he should be sent there as a missionary. He arrived at Rangihoua, the C.M.S. station, in 1822 and with William White, James Stack, and Luke Wade, a layman, who joined him the following year, he established a mission station at Whangaroa in June 1823.

Mrs Wade sailed from England to join her husband, arriving in the Bay of Islands in March 1826 on board the Sir George Osbourne. Luke Wade had gone to England to collect her and returned to New Zealand in October 1826. 
Mr and Mrs Wade escorted Kezia Bedford back to New South Wales in 1828

(January 1827 Whangaroa) Our party consisted of two missionaries Messrs Turner and Hobbs, Mrs Turner who had been confined only five weeks and was still very weak. Three small children, Miss Davis, Luke Wade, an English servant and his wife who had been for several weeks extremely ill, and hardly able to move at all, five native boys and two native girls, in all, sixteen persons. Before us was a journey of 20 miles over a most rugged and mountainous country of which some of the hills are so steep that for the roots of the trees, which form a sort of steps, they would be almost inaccessible. When about seven miles from Wesleydale, we were met by Mr Stack and Mr Clarke.  Before we arrived at Kiddeekiddee, (KeriKeri) the Pyhea (Paihia) friends came up consisting of the Rev Henry Williams, Mr Richard Davis and MR W Puckey accompanied by Mr Hamlin and upward of twenty natives.

It will be seen by our extracts from the Australian, that, the ship Sisters, Captain Duke, has arrived at Sydney, leaving New Zealand the 28th January. She brings, as passengers from that country, the whole of the Wesleyan Missionaries, who were obliged to leave it after being plundered by the Natives. There names are, the Rev. N. Turner, Mrs. Turner, and three children ; Rev.J. Hobbs, Rev. J. Stack, and Mr. and Mrs. Wade.

 (October 1827) The second mission attempt. An establishment of Europeans already existed on the spot, for the purpose of ship building and trading with the natives, the proprietors of which Thomas Raine Esq. and Gordon D Browne Esq. two highly respected merchants of Sydney who expressed a desire to see the mission resumed in that part of the country and kindly promised to render all assistance and co operation in their power. And accordingly Rev. John Hobbs and Mr Hobbs, the Rev. James Stack and Miss Bedford accompanied by Luke Wade and his wife as confidential servants arrived.

15 October 1829, The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser. From New Zealand, on Tuesday last, the ship Surry (347). Captain Dacre. Lading, spars and flax. Passengers, Mr. Fishwick, Mr. Shand, Luke Wade, Sarah Wade, and John Shovel. Also, Richard Cole, a prisoner.

Sarah Wade died in Sydney in October 1829.