Home‎ > ‎More details‎ > ‎

Rev Gideon Smales

Arrived: 1839
Country of origin:
Area in New Zealand:
Bay of Islands

The Rev died Sept-Oct 1894. His death notice reads;
The death of the Rev. Gideon Smales, one of the oldest pioneer missionaries in the North. He came out from Bristol in the missionary brig Victoria in 1839 with a large party of missionaries for New Zealand and the South Sea Islands. The party included the Rev Buddle, Buttle, Aldred, H A Turton and Skervington, he being the last survivor of the party. In 1856 he retired from mission work to his farm at East Tamaki, where he died.

New Zealand Herald 11 December 1869
The death of Mr. J. B. Smales, M.A., a native of this Province, and whose friends still reside here. It is thought some further remarks should be added. John Bumby Smales was born on the Newark Mission Station, about five miles from the Heads of the Hokianga, in the latter part of October, I84I. His father was the Rev. Gideon Smales, a Wesleyan minister and missionary, and his mother was the sister of the late Rev. J. H. Bumby, a voting man whose remarkable talents induced the Wesleyan Conference to send him out as chairman of the Wesleyan New Zealand District, in I838, at that memorable period when New Zealand was just about to be colonized, and who was mysteriously drowned, with twelve natives, by the upsetting of a canoe between Motutapu and Tiritirimatangi, in the Hauraki Gulf, in 1840. J. B. Smales was trained in early life by a most sagacious and affectionate mother, and a father whose great aim was to rear a wise and good son, and his filial obedience and truthfulness were everything that could be desired. In early life he was an apt student, and when quite an infant would sit hours at his little desk copying all the illustrations of London's Natural History and writing out most correctly their scientific names. He was taken to Wesley College, Auckland, where he spent some time. Here he maintained a fair position, but displayed nothing remarkable. In 1859 he went to England with his father and was placed in Wesley College, Sheffield, where, under the governorship of Dr. Waddy, he made rapid progress in his studies. (Extract)