Home‎ > ‎


  1. In 1801 an unidentified Englishman lived in the Hauraki area, along with Thomas Taylor who had deserted from the Hunter in 1799.
  2. In 1804 a European lived in the neighbourhood of Korarareka of whom the natives spoke well.
  3. In 1812 an American sailor and four other white men lived among the natives and were well treated. These men were known all over the country and their physical conformation and customs afforded endless matter for conversation.
  4. In 1815, two convicts, who had deserted from a vessel under the idea that they could live in idle ease among the natives surrendered themselves in Botany Bay rather than lead the lives they did.
  5. In 1821 a missionary rescued two convicts a chief was about to be executed because they would not work like slaves.
  6. One unemployed tattooed Pakeha Maori visited England and acted the part of a New Zealand savage in several provincial theatres. Here he married an English woman who accompanied him to New Zealand, but she eloped with a Yankee sailor because the tattooed actor’s old Maori wife met him and obtained an influence over him the white woman could not combat.
  7. High up the Wanganui river, a copy of Shakespeare, a classical dictionary, and a stone for grinding maize were shown to me by a chief, as the property of his former Pakeha Maori.
  8. On the banks of the Mokau River I stood upon the grave of one of these men, was shown a tattered English Prayer-book, the only property he left, and a half-caste girl gambolling in the river, the poor man’s only child.
  9. (abridged) In 1852, when travelling to Taupo with Major Hume and Capt Cooper of the 58th, we encountered a good specimen of this almost extinct class. His residence resembled a whaler’s hut and stood on the bank of a beautiful river, in the midst of a peach orchard. He welcomed us into his house and told his native wife to prepare food for us. After we had finished our repast, he called five half-caste children forward, and to each gave a portion of the food remaining. When night closed in we all sat around the fire and the Pakeha Maori grew talkative under the influence of a glass of grog we had given him. We found he had been a sailor, once a man-of-war’s-man and was wrecked in 1828 at the mouth of the Waikato River. All hands but himself on board the vessel, which was a Sydney trader, perished. With dread he approached a village and lingered on its outskirts until hunger conquered his terror of being eaten.

  10. William Page left England for New Zealand in 1833. His brother was enquiring for him in Lloyd's Weekly London newspaper. Timaru Herald 18 Feb 1890.

  11. A person who came before the judge in the Resident Magistrates Court in Napier on the 15th January 1880 claimed he'd been in the colony for 50yrs.

  12. A letter addressed to Hugh McLiver, Bay of Islands, lying at Hobart on the 13th September 1839.

  13. Sydney Gazette Thursday 20th October 1836, Two females were placed at the bar on Monday afternoon in the Court of Quarter Sessions, to take their trial for a criminal offence, they both brought full grown children with them; one had hers in her arms to excite the sympathy of the court.  The Chairman animadveried strongly on such conduct, and said it was disgraceful and that a female of New Zealand would have a better feeling for her offspring than to degrade it by bringing her child in her arms to a bar of justice, whilst the mother appeared to answer the charge of a criminal informations.

  14.  Sydney Gazette Thursday 29th December 1836. THE SIR David Ogleby. I have seen the log of the above vessel , and also a number of certificates of persons at New Zealand, relative to the mutinous conduct of the seamen of the Sir David Ogleby.  The Captain had been repeatedly threatened during the voyage to New Zealand, and after arriving there they were heard to say they 'would think no more of heaving the Captain overboard than taking a glass of grog'. They promised also to serve the mate the same way, saying, 'if one could not do it two or three could.'  At Kawia they refused to do anything until the master told them were the vessel was bound for and they went ashore and swore they would not let the vessel to to sea, indeed the schooner had scarcely left Sydney Heads before the men shewed the most insubordinate conduct.  Captain Davies thought it necessary to consult some persons at Kawia, when they were of opinion than it was unsafe to proceed to sea with the crew, unless the vessel was well armed, and the mutineers put in irons.  Not having either one or the other, Captain Davies, to save the property of his owner and having a little respect for his life, was under the necessity of leaving the whole of them at Kawia in charge of one of the Chiefs, for none of the Europeans would have anything to do with such characters.  Captain D. entered into an agreement with a person at New Zealand to supply the seamen with provisions for three months and having obtained a few of the natives to act as sailors, was fortunate enough to reach Port Jackson in safety with the assistance of only his mate and the New Zealanders, the latter of whom were to be retained as hostages for the mutineers. Captain Davies immediately reported the whole of the circumstances to the Sydney Police but we have not learnt the issue of the interview.  The Government, we should think, out to send a vessel down to Kawia and bring the fellows up to Sydney to be tried for mutiny.

  15. Sydney Gazette 22 December 1836.. On the 29th of October 1835, Messrs. Clendon and Stephenson chartered the Fortitude to a person at New Zealand, to proceed to the Society Islands, the Sandwich Islands, and return  to the former place, from whence she was to proceed to Port Jackson - having liberty to call at the Bay of Islands on the way up. (For the information of the writer in the Gazette, we bet to say that we have gleaned these facts from the charter-party itself, which has been placed in our hands.) The schooner sailed, and many months had passed by but no account of the Fortitude.  After a considerable time the owners heard, indirectly, that she had been taken to Valparaiso and sold.  It is now within a week of fourteen months since the Fortitude left New Zealand and neither her owners not the agent in Sydney have received any communication from either the charterer or any other person in the vessel.  Perhaps the Gazette informant will put the owners of the Fortitude into the possession of the means of obtaining the whole, or any part, of the four thousand dollars for which the schooner was sold?

  16. Sydney Herald 22 December 1836.  By the Sir David Ogleby from Kawia New Zealand, we regret to hear that another shipwreck is reported on the southern coast of that place.  The following is all that is yet known of the circumstances. Previous to the sailing of the Sir David Ogleby, a settler named Smith came over from Tourangi to Kawia to deliver some Sydney letters, when he informed Captain Davies that a vessel, he understood a schooner, had been totally lost upon the East Cape a few days prior to his leaving Tourangi. The master of the schooner and a boy were the only two persons who had been saved from the wreck, but the boy survived only a few hours after landing, the master had gone to on to the Bay of Islands. The Sir David Ogleby had brought up a cargo consisting of 150 pigs, 2 tons flax, 1500 bushels maize and 2 tons pork to Captain McNeice,the owner of the schooner.

  17. Sydney Herald 24th November 1836
    To Merchants and Others.  A person of respectability wished to obtain a situation as Storekeeper in the country, or to manage the same branch of business at New Zealand.  For the latter situation, or for the management of any business connected with that country, the Advertiser flatters himself that he is particularly qualified, having lived among the New Zealanders for several years, and being able to speak their language with fluency. The most undeniable references will be given.  Address A. B. at the Office of the Sydney Herald, post-paid.

  18. Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 9th February 1837
    The wife of the skipper who has appropriated to his own use a whole cargo entrusted to him for sale for the benefit of his owners, at New Zealand, has left Sydney clandestinely for that settlement to join her husband.  We are told that this fellow has really had the impudence to write to his owners and request them to send him down more trade, as he thought, if they would support him, he could make a good thing of it. - Capital!

  19. Sydney Herald 27th July 1837
    On Sunday, the 2nd of July, Castle Gourie, the country residence of Messrs. Salmon, Bond, Leach & Co. (under the care of Captain Banks), was burnt to the ground and everything destroyed.

  20. Colonial Times and Tasmanian Advertiser 9th June 1826
    It appears that the three men who some time ago stole Mr Petchey's boat, have lately been discovered on Preservation Island ; from whence they have been carried off by the sloop Woodman, Mr Day, master, bound for New Zealand.

  21. The curious case of the compositor who is alleged to have arrived in the Bay of Islands in 1837.  He is supposed to have started up the first gossip newspaper of the colony, an earlier version of the 'Bay of Islands Observer. This paper ceased after the Governor arrived in January 1840 on board the HMS Herald, Captain Joseph Nias, but a copy was maybe sent home to England to be given to a museum. So says the Auckland Star 16th April 1888.

    They also persuaded a compositor to migrate to New Zealand. The paper was accordingly issued in 1838, and was called The Bay of Islands Observer." This was the first paper issued in New Zealand. In those days everyone knew each other, and local subscribers amused themselves with writing "skits" on their friends, to the intense amusement of the whole public of the small village. In 1839 strangers began to come, and the beginning of the following year a man-of-war,the captain of which was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, arrived. The editor of the newspaper admitted anything sent in, and amongst other items published a notice of a sale of broken down horses which was to take place at Okaiato,the seat of government in the Bay of Islands. Some of the Government officials imagined they were being lampooned by this notice, and out of their mouths came threats of action of law, a subject the settler had, in the absence of civilisation, forgotten. These ominous words sent a thrill of horror into all concerned in the little newspaper, and the bantling ceased to exist. Thus the first bank eloped and the first newspaper frightened to death. Also mentioned in Te Wananga.

  22. 1798 The scow ‘Hunter’, Captain James Fearn, sailed from the Thames with a load of spars for China, the natives assisting the crew of the vessel in transporting the spars to the waters edge. In 1801 several other vessels loaded with spars at the same place. (Datus by George Finn). 1799 On board the ‘Hunter’. On this our second visit, we picked up two of the three men we had left with the natives to cut timber. The third has taken to himself a wife and chooses to remain. He has not been found. 

  23. A man who lost his life in the Waikato Oct 1830. He had come from Kawhia and wanted to proceed to Thames and would not wait for a suitable Maori escort, instead he left accompanied by some slaves in a canoe. Then he, having insulted and threatened them, was left naked on the riverbank. His body was found soon after. It seemed he'd tried to cross the river on his own. (Pakeha Rambles through Maori Lands by J. H. A. St john.)

  24. The first ship that sailed into Kawhia was about this time (i.e., the death of Pomare, which occurred in June or July, 1826), 'Hamukete' 296 was the captain, he brought muskets and powder to trade for flax…The people asked the captain to obtain more arms for them, so he made a trip to Sydney, and on his return brought back the following Pakehas: Te Kaora' (J. V. Cowell), 'Te Kawana,' 'Te Rangi-tera,' and 'Tamete.' These different Pakehas were appropriated by various chiefs, who settled them as follows:—' Hamukete' was taken by Te Wherowhero, and settled at Heahea (near Kāwhia Heads, north side); Te Tuhi took 'Te Rangi-tera' and settled him also at Heahea; Kiwi took 'Te Kaora' and settled him at Pouewe (Kawhia township); Te Kanawa took 'Tamete' and settled him at Maketu (near the above). 'Hamukete' married Tiria, Te Wherowhero's daughter; 'Te Rangi-tera' married Heihei, Te Tuhi's daughter, and 'Tamete' married Rangiatea niece of Te Kanawa. Who the other Pakehas were, beyond Captain Kent and Cowell, I do not know. They would be appropriated by these various chiefs in order that they might, through them, obtain arms, etc., and with whom to barter their flax.

  25. 1830. The Ngapuhi revisited Port Waikato, and fell in with a pakeha known by the name of "Paddy," who had travelled from Whaingaroa (Raglan); they wished to take him away with them, and probably might not have seriously ill-treated him, but Paddy, imagining that they were Waikato natives, and probably not having heard of the Ngapuhi's arrival, declined the honor and became obstreperous. The consequence was that he was killed, and an endeavour made to turn him to a useful account by cooking him; but, on being placed on the festive ground (board being out of the question), he was found to be so much impregnated with salt from the salt provision he had eaten, that he was rejected, and ultimately given to the dogs. (Pakeha Rambles through Maori Lands by J. H. A. St john.)

  26. Mr W----. His life hung on a straw. A sorry tale which turned out well for Mr W---. This was in the Waikato 1830  (Pakeha Rambles through Maori Lands by J. H. A. St john.) Mr W---, possibly Mr Wade.

  27. The anonymous contributor to Mr J. H.A. St John's book on early Waikato who had a flax trading station in the 1830's.

  28. 'Old Whaling Days' 1834 The Caroline reached Sydney two days later with 200 tuns of oil and 11 tons of bone on board. On board the Caroline was a runaway 'named George Wilson, who, with several others, had stowed away when the vessel left Sydney, but when at New Zealand the others had managed to get away among the natives. 

  29. Mentioned in 'Raglan County Hills and Sea, A Centennial History 1876-1976' by C.W. Vennell and Susan Williams. Paddy one of a few Europeans who had settled among the natives (1830's) at Whaingaroa came to a bad end. He was captured by Ngapuhi at Whangape and resisted, he was promptly knocked on the head and consigned to the ovens.

  30. Mentioned in 'Raglan County Hills and Sea, A Centennial History 1876-1976' by C.W. Vennell and Susan Williams. Two europeans, one named Charlie and the other Geordy Clare lived together on the northern shore of the Whaingaroa Harbour. In the winter of 1833 they quarrelled and Geordy shot his companion. Captain Kent took Geordy to Sydney where he was charged with murder but for lack of evidence was released. His first trip out of Sydney resulted in a sinking and all hands were lost.