Home‎ > ‎


The Brothers, as mentioned in the Gazette of Saturday last, brings with her a melancholy account of the massacre of several of her's and the Trial's crew by the New Zealanders at Trial Harbour, at the estimated distance of 150 miles S E of the Míssionary station at the Bay of Islands, being between the River Thames and Mercury Bay.
The Trial sailed from hence the 20th of May for the Marquesas, intending to call At New Zealand and there to join the Brothers, which had a few days previously taken her departure hence for that island charged with the purpose of collecting flax. They remained at the Bay of Islands a month, and from thence adopted a south easterly route, trading with the natives as they went along. Making a short stay at a harbour which did not appear to have been before frequented by Europeans, they named it Trial Harbour, and received very friendly treatment with a promise of having a quantity of flax provided against the return of the vessels. They went towards Cook's Straits and after running down a considerable extent of coast, returned to Trial Harbour which proved the scene of carnage. The natives appeared no less friendly than before; but not having procured the flax according to their promise, Mr. Hovell ancl Mr. Burnett prepared for quitting the place. They designed sailing thence on Monday the 21st of August ; but were attacked on the noon of the preceding day, and the decks of both vessels taken possession of by an immense number of the natives Mr. Hovell's account of the transaction states that at half past 12 AM he observed a number of canoes along side both vessels; but that from the friendly terms he was on with the chiefs and other natives, he had no suspicion of any design against the vessels, both which were provided with boarding nets, through the interstices of which they bartered their commodities with the islanders The Trial's people were down at dinner: Mr Hovell was on the quarter deck, folding a mat with a friendly chief, Narruroo, near to whom was another chief: the latter, on some signal supposed to have been given by the former, sprung upon Mr. Hovell with his club, and struck him on the back of the neck he reeled, half stunned, a second blow was levelled at him, which he avoided by rushing forward, and precipitating himself down the forecastle hatchway. The assailants now crowded upon the upper deck, of which they obtained complete possession, while several, who had intruded themselves between decks were opposed by the people, and killed, Those above tried to ship the main hatch it order to shut the crew below , but to prevent this, two men were stationed at the hatchway, who kept them off with their muskets. Their numbers increased; and a rush was momentarily arrested. A constant fire was kept up from below and the natives ended up on the quarter deck to keep clear of the firing up the hatchway. The cabin skylight affording an opportunity of firing upon them there, the occasion was embraced, and two discharges drove them off the quarterdeck. They were astonished and confounded at the unexpected attack through the skylight, which was fatal to several; they ran forward, still determined however, to persist in their attempt of capturing the vessel. In passing forward they were again fired at from the hatchway; and at this critical moment arrived Jacky Werry, a native who had before belonged to the Trial and by his directions to cut the cables of the two vessels, the crews were reduced to the last extremity They soon drifted ashore; and the assailants, to avoid the firing, crowded in and about the long boat All appeared lost, yet to avoid the horrors of falling alive into the hands of the assailants, the crew came to the resolution of blowing the vessel up, and involving their enemies in their own destruction. Desperation redoubled exertion; and a steady discharge of 7 muskets at one volley drove them overboard and thus the crew regained the deck, of which the enemy had had possession 4 hours. They now saw the Brothers within half a cable's length, also a ground, with upwards of 100 natives on her deck. The Trial's swivels were now employed in aid of her musketry, and soon cleared her. Mr. Burnett and his people regained the deck of the Brothers, from which they also had been driven, and a joint fire as kept up as, long as the natives were within its reach, which did considerable execution.

Mr. Burnett's report of the affair states that at half past 12 heard a shout from the Trial; and immediately his own decks were crowded with natives who had been previously alongside his vessel that he was instantly aware of the intended assault, and seizing a musket, shot one at the most forward. Mr John O'Neal, mate of the vessel, and a native of this Colony, for some time defended Mr Burnett against the attacks of several adversaries, with an empty musket: He was himself attacked and fell, overpowered by numbers. Thos Hayes was thrown wounded into a canoe, and killed on shore, Joseph Marsden, and George Hallighan, the former wounded, jumped overboard, and were protected by a chief's wife , the latter rejoined the vessel, and supposes Marsden, who did not return, to be still alive. Wm Morgan, a boy, was wounded, as was also Mr. Burnett, though not badly, and the next morning the two seamen who bad been unfortunately killed on board the Brothers, were interred. On board the Trial were killed, Matthew Jackson, a European, and Tetia, a Pomaloo native, and Christopher Harpur wounded.
The Trial afterwards proceeded to the Islands of Olaheile, to look for a cargo: and the Brothers brings up several persons who had accompanied the Missionaries to New Zealand, in servile capacities.
It is with the truest satisfaction we report, that the casualties which unhappily occurred at Trial Harbour in no way whatever affects the small Missionary establishment at the Bay of Islands; on the contrarv, Mr Kendall writes to the Rev Mr Marsden in terms of entire satisfaction with the condition he is placed in, with the Gentlemen associated in his Missionary labours, to which there appears no prospect or present apprehension of an interruption. The small settlement already made was in a highly progressive state; the chiefs were on terms of amity and confidence with them, and the school was usually attended by a great number of children All parties regretted the hostility that had occured; but none appeared to be affected with anv kind of sentiment that could possibly militate against the security of the Missionary Establishment.
Mr Hovell assures us, that the natives at and about Trial Harbour had no knowledge of firearms and expressed the utmost surprise at the discharge of a musket. He believes them to have been an inland horde, who had accidentally visited the coast. They had no clothmg or implements that could possibly indicate a previous acquaintance with Europeans, but an adze, which it was ascertained they had procured at the River Thames.
The persons who came from the Missionary Establishment at the Bay of Islands, are, Mr. and Mrs Rodgers, and Mrs. Conroy.

Sydney Gazette 24th September 1836.  The schooner Harlequin, belonging to Mr. Peterson, arrived from New Zealand yesterday afternoon, with a cargo consisting principally of corn and pork. By her have come as passengers, Captain Boyce, the commander, John Sherwin, Esq , supercargo, and the crew of that fine craft, the New Zealander, owned by J. H. Grose, Esq. which we lament to learn was unfortunately wrecked at a place called Naucataura, on the 7th ultimo. It appears that the New Zealander was at anchor on the north side of Table Cape, on the south-east coast of New Zealand, having on board about two thousand bushels of maize and seven tons of pork; in the early part of the evening it was nearly a calm, the wind offshore; at about one o'clock am., a very heavy sea began to set into the harbour, which about an hour afterwards was followed by a fresh breeze; Captain Boyce then tried to get under weigh, the anchorage not being sufficiently sheltered from the united effects of the wind and current; at half past two o'clock, the chain cable parted, and they managed to work the vessel to and fro for upwards of an hour, but finding that the schooner was carried rapidly by the current to the shore, Captain Boyce thought it prudent to let drop a second anchor, and furl up the sails; in a little time there was no wind whatever, but a remarkably heavy sea, the violence of which was such as before dawn to separate the vessel from her anchor, and to drive her a distance of a mile, raising her over two or three reefs of rock, and bringing her within 200 yards of the land, where she settled down, a complete wreck, having bilged immediately after parting with the second anchor. About ten o'clock in the morning, Mr Sherwin and six of the crew left her, and on reaching the shore, the natives seize the boat, and would not allow them to go back for the captain, the mate, and the one then on board, who consequently remained on the vessel until about five in the afternoon, when she had drifted close in shore, and they were enabled to swim to the land. Tho natives immediately  began to take out the whole of her cargo, and stripped the crew of every thing, many of thom being compelled to walk about almost in a state of nudity. Being aware that the Harlequin was in the vicinity (by water about seventy miles distant) Captain Boyce dispatched some of the crow across the land to her, when she was sent round to their assistance, and in which vessel they have arrived in Sydney, all well.
We hear by this Harlequin, that a fine vessel called the Fanny, belonging to Captain Clendon, of the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, has been lost off the East Cape, about two mouths ago.

THE LOSS OF THE 'INDUSTRY' off the West Coast near Hokianga.
The Sydney Gazette 19th January 1837. By the Stirlingshire we have received advices of the loss of the schooner Industry, Captain Skelton, belonging to Captain Duke of this port. It appears that the vessel's cargo was discharged at a place called Warhore, about 21 miles from Hokianga, to which she was then procceding in clay ballast, when, about four o'clock in the morning, she encountered a violent hurricane from the W. S. W., which continued with unabated fury for about eight hours ; the vessel became leaky, and the pumps were put into requisition, but were soon choked up by the clay ballast and rendered useless. The water gained rapidly upon the vessel, and it soon became apparent that the only way to save the lives of the crew was to run the vessel on shore, which was im- mediately done. The natives were on the beach iu considerable numbers, and soon surrounded and stripped the vessel of everything portable, destroying the sails, rigging, etc. To the master and crew they offered no violence, but gave each of them two figs of tobacco out of the plunder. They then proeeeded in the schooner's boat to West Cape, Bay of islands. One of the men has come up by the Guide, another remained in the service of the missonaries, and the third was in attendance upon the master, who had received a severe wound in the leg.

The following extract of a letter from the Bay of Islands, dated September 29 1832, will afford our readers some idea of the present state of New Zealand. "We have made such arrangements as will enable us occasionally to make our readers acquainted with anything important occurring in that interesting island.

" I am presuming to trouble you with a few passing remarks on our new place of abode. I do not, however, profess to furnish you with a continua- tion of such correspondence (not being equal thoreto), but am desirous to offer my observations to you, that through the medium ol your journal we may lay our desires before the Government und the public in such a way as shall interest them in the welfare of  this place. Without further preamble I may say that every one here, in common with the Mission, feel the need of Government support, to protect them from the machinations of the many runaway convicts, and other bad characters left by, as well as connected witb the shipping that occasionally touch here, much more indeed than from the natives  themselves.  The latter are greatly influenced in their transactions by the secret malevolence of the former, and in a very extreme degree also in their views and opinions of the objects of private letters coming among them and indeed even reaching to the objects of the home Government itself, which they are taught to believe has no other object but tho ultimate subjection of the country.
The runaways finding themselves betrayed by the late inquiry of the Sydney Government for them, are retaliating by persuading the natives that all comers here are only such persons as are banished from home and account for the Sydney Government not disturbing them from their belonging to another place. These statements are greatly borne out by the fear displayed by many settled on the coast and the utter want of support or countenance of any governing authority.
There is also now arising another difficulty, fostered by the same instigatory means; namely, the right of possession. In purchasing in the first instance, it is not uncommon when the natives to ascertain any creditable person to want a piece of land, they enhance the bargain, by continuing to bid above him, and in some instances to buy the land over his head, founding their claims on the pretensions of relatives who for the sake of getting the payment, set up a claim on the land in question.
The value of land is increased in the proportion of one musket to ten and fifteen upon the report of the runaway's of the value of land in Port Jackson and I believe the purchases of Greenaway and Clendon have been fully equal to the value of land in the neighbourhood of Sydney. In Clendon's case the price was nearly acting to his exclusion from his original purchase and is a most decided check to the present purchase of land at the Bay.
The sagacity of the natives seizes on the temporary dilemma of the reputable colonist, and in their minds increases the value of the runaway's usefulness.
The protection of the British Government to the settled traders and the extirpation of the runaways, are becoming daily matters of the utmost importance to this northern part of the Islands. We have ourselves suffered materially from these people, by a house of call placed on our own land, at our very door, our workmen seduced away, and our boats followed in the purchase of timber, to raise the price above what could reasonably be afforded, in hope of checking the repairs and keeping vessels a longer period in the Bay.
The second disturbance at Captain D'Arce's establishment, viz. that under G. D. Brown; is a strong proof of the little regard the natives now have for any European and the arrival of the Lucy Ann will have brought you further proof of the estimation the traders are held in by any parties, when on their predatory excursions.
The interference of any European, as has been reported in the late Towrengee war, is much to be deplored, as most injurious to the British interests, and is expected to be followed by much injury. The danger of retaliation, which would no doubt be without distinction, we very much dread, having now the whole of the Elizabeth's cargo in our stores and which a single firebrand, thrown by a native, might in a few minutos totally destroy. We have just heard of the intention of the Government to send Mr. Busby as our resident to this port, this has given us new hopes that we shall be able to maintain our ground in safety. It is generally ex- pected that he will be enabled to settle the differences and claims of Europeans, as well as to protect them from the wild crews of shipping, and from runaway convicts. We shall continue to look with much anxiety for his arrival, the country being in a disturbed state in all parts, and from the scarcity of food, and no ships, the runaways are at their wit's end for support."

To the Shipowners and Merchants of New South Wales. (from William Webster)
Notice in the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 28th January 1840
Whereas on or about the 4th (January 1840),  the barque HOPE, of Sydney, Henry Richards, Commander, anchored abreast of the Isle of Waiheke, and for reasons occult to the undersigned, received on board the said barque a quantity of valuable Spars, laying on my beach, which said Spars had at great expense and trouble collected as part of a ship's cargo, which I am under a bond to obtain.
And whereas the Commander of the said barque, aided and assisted by the "Supercargo" and on Ex Grogvender of the Bay of Islands, employed in my absence a number of Natives to take off the said Spars without obtaining my personal or written authority, alleging or stating to the Natives it was a European negotiation, although prior, and subsequently to the taking on board the Hope the said Spars, the Europeans on Waibeke informed the said H. Richards the said Spars wore my "bona fide" property.
On the arrival of the Hope at this port '(a distance of about twenty miles from Waiheke),  I went on board and saw the aforesaid Spars, and from their peculiar description surmised they were my property. I made enquiries as to the fact, and was informed by the said H. Richards they were not my property or taken off my land.
And whereas the said H. Richards, assisted by the aforesaid "Grogvender," entered into agreement with two Chiefs to supply the said barque with a large quantify of Firewood, which agreeably, to contract was shipped on board the Hope, which vessel went to sea without paying the Native Chiefs for their property and trouble, to the serious prejudice, of all European setters here.
And whereas,  whereby, and wherefore, I intend. to take proceedings (for the restoration of my property) against the said offenders. I hereby give notice, that from and after, the date hereof, any, person or persons found taking away or cutting my Spars or Growing Timber without my written authority, will be prosecuted to the utmost,rigour, of the law by the undersigned.
William Webster, Coromandel Harbour, Thames, New Zealand the 14th December 1839