Department of Mechanical Engineering
School of Mechanical, Materials, and Energy Engineering (SMMEE)
Room # 307, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar,
Nangal Road, Rupnagar- 140001, Punjab, India
Phone: +91-1881-242151 (office), +91-8699398885 (mobile)
Also associated to Bio-medical program at IIT Ropar
Chairman and Nodal Officer, Intellectual Property Cell (IPR cell) at IIT Ropar
Co-coordinator of the central workshop
Research funding: We received £ 1 million ($ 1,517,300) for a joint funding on “Engineering Driven Sustainable Supply Network Design, DST (India)-EPSRC (UK) joint project on advance manufacturing (Co-PI), 2014-2017.” This is possibly one of the highest research funding received at an assistant professor level in India and possibly in many other countries.
Two of my papers are among the most cited papers of 2014 in AIEDAM, Cambridge University Press and Design Studies, Elsevier.
Teaching outcome: My undergraduate course on Product Design and Realization has successfully produced on an average of two patent applications for the last three semesters- this is possibly the highest number of patent applied as an undergraduate course outcome.
World record: As an outcome of my course, we designed and manufactured, the longest ballpoint pen and the longest fountain ink pen in the world. We are entering in Guinness Book of World Record and other world records (applied).
April 2011- present (4.5 years)
Assistant professor (tenured) at the School of Mechanical, Materials, and Energy Engineering (SMMEE), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar, Punjab, India. URL: http://www.iitrpr.ac.in/
· Research on product design, sustainability, creativity, and design research
· Co-coordinating product design and realization manufacturing laboratory and central workshop
· Initiated institute wide design exhibitions, six times, 2011- current (twice a year)
· Started Intellectual Property Cell (IPR cell) at IIT Ropar. working as a chairman and Nodal Officer for Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)s, of IIT Ropar
May 2008- April 2011 (3 years)
Associate Researcher at Manufacturing Engineering Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Maryland, USA. URL: http://www.nist.gov/el/msid/
Activities (in team):
· Research on sustainable manufacturing
· Development of a sustainability standards portal to help SMEs implement sustainability related standards, such as, WEEE, RoHS, and ISO 14000. URL: http://www.mel.nist.gov/msid/SSP/
· Development of a sustainability indicator repository. URL: http://www.mel.nist.gov/msid/SMIR/index.html
· Development of eco-design methods
Nov 2007- April 2008 (6 months)
IISc Junior Research Associate, Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. URL: http://cpdm.iisc.ernet.in/
Activities: research on creativity and design research
Aug 2000- Jan 2003 (2 years, 6 months)
Development Engineer (senior design engineer), R&D Center, Bharat Earth Movers Limited, KGF, second largest manufacturer of earthmoving equipment in Asia. URL: http://www.bemlindia.com
· Design and development of mechanical systems for dozers and dumpers
· Designed the first remote controlled bulldozer for Indian government for handling disasters such as an earthquake
March 2007-Oct 2007 (8 months)
Co-founder and managing director of a startup firm called ‘ODEA solutions’. ‘ODEA solutions’ is a product design and development consulting company. URL: http://odeasolutions.com
2008 Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering. Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, India. Established in 1933 by the Nobel Laureate C.V. Raman, IISc is regarded as the best research institute in India with world academic rank of 76.
Dissertation: Development of a support for effective concept exploration to enhance the creativity of engineering designers. Advisor: Prof. Amaresh Chakrabarti
GPA -7.0/8.0 (87.5%-1st class). Submitted November 2007, defended March 2008. URL: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/
2000 Master of Design (M.Des.) in Product Design and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering. Centre for Product Design and Manufacturing (CPDM), IISc. Dissertation (main project): Design of a CD retrieval system on demand. Advisor: Prof. Asitava Ghosal. GPA - 6.6/8.0 (82.5 %-1st class). URL: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/
1998 Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Production Engineering (Industrial Engineering, similar to ME), National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy, India. This program is NBA accredited under Tier 1 (Washington Accord) [link]. Dissertation (BTP project): Design of Jigs and Press Working Tools using AI. Advisor: Prof. P. Asokan. Marks-70% -1st class). URL: www.nitt.edu/
2006-2013 Self learning: Completed several courses on product design offered by MIT and Stanford University through EdX and MIT’s online courseware.
RESEARCH INTERESTS (Generic area: Product design)
· Design creativity [journal=6]
· Sustainable design [journal=4]
· Sustainable machining and manufacturing [journal=3]
· Bio-mimicry in engineering design [journal=2]
· Life cycle assessment of products [journal=1]
· Other research interests in conceptual design: design research and design methods, design theory and methodology, design methods, problem solving, aesthetics
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
Google scholar profile: http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=k9oa6zIAAAAJ
Highlight 1: Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir sarkar, B. Leelavathamma and B.S. Nataraju, a functional representation for aiding biomimetic and artificial inspiration of new ideas, AI EDAM, Volume 19 / Issue 02, pp 113 - 132, May 2005, has been one of the top ten most cited articles for this journal for the last two years.
Highlight 2: Most cited paper of 2014 in Design Studies: Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2011. Assessing design creativity. Design Studies, vol. 32, Issue 3, May 2011, Elsevier (I.F= 2.5).
International Journals (SCI indexed, peer reviewed)
* Students (PhD and B.Tech)
1. Sameer Gupta*, Prabir Sarkar, and Ekta Singla, 2015. Understanding different stakeholders of sustainable product and service based systems using generic algorithm. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy (CTEP), August 2015, Volume 17, Issue 6, pp 1523-1533, Springer (I.F= 1.7).
2. Gyanendra Singh Goindi*, Santosh Namdeo Chavan*, Debaprasad Mandal, Prabir Sarkar, Anshu Dhar Jayal, 2015. Investigation of ionic liquids as novel metalworking fluids during minimum quantity lubrication machining of a plain carbon steel, Procedia CIRP. Special issue on 12th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing – Emerging Potentials, Volume 26, 2015, Pages 341–345, Elsevier.
3. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2015. Creativity: Generic Definition, Tests, Factors and Methods. The International Journal of Design Sciences and Technology, Europia, vol, 21, no.1.
4. Prabir Sarkar, Bhaanuj Sharma*, and Ural Malik*, 2014. Energy generation from grey water in high raised buildings: the case of India. Renewable Energy, Elsevier, Volume 69, September 2014, Pages 284–289 (I.F= 3.4).
5. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2014. Ideas generated in conceptual design and their effects on creativity, Research in Engineering Design, Springer, July 2014, Volume 25, Issue 3, pp 185-201 (I.F= 1.5)
6. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2014. What affects design outcomes of conceptual design? International Journal of Design Engineering, Inderscience, Vol 5, no. 4, pp-289-321.
7. Patel Amit R*, Sarkar Prabir, Singh Harpreet, Tyagi Himanshu, and Sagi Sudhakar, 2014. Life cycle assessment of intermediate Pyrolysis of wheat straw for sustainable energy alternate and emission mitigation. International Review of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 2248-9967 Volume 4, Number 4 (2014), pp. 325-330, Research India Publications.
8. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2013. A support for protocol analysis for design research. Design Issues, MIT Press, vol. 29, issue- 4, pp-70-81 (I.F=1.5).
9. Che B. Joung, John Carrell, Prabir Sarkar, Shaw C. Feng, 2013. Categorization of indicators for sustainable manufacturing. Ecological Indicators, Elsevier, Volume 24, January 2013, Pages 148–157 (I.F= 3.0).
10. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2011. Assessing design creativity. Design Studies, vol. 32, Issue 3, May 2011, Elsevier (I.F= 2.5).
11. Sudarsan Rachuri, Ram D. Sriram, Anantha Narayanan, Prabir Sarkar, Jae-Hyun Lee, Kevin W. Lyons, Sharon J. Kemmerer, 2011. Summary of the NIST workshop on Sustainable Manufacturing: Metrics, Standards, and Infrastructure. International Journal for Sustainable Manufacturing, vol. 2, Issue 2/3, Inderscience.
12. Gaurav Ameta and Prabir Sarkar, 2010. Comparison of electronics products standards for sustainability. International Journal of Product design, April 2010, Serials publications.
13. Sudarsan Rachuri, Prabir Sarkar, Dimitris Kiritsis, Masaru Nakano, 2009. Editorial: Special Issue on: "Developing Sustainable Products, Processes and Services", International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, Vol 4, No 1-3, Inderscience.
14. Prabir Sarkar, Phaneendra S, Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2008. Developing engineering products using inspiration from nature. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, JCISE. Vol. 8, No. 3. ASME. (I.F= 0.5)
15. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2008. The effect of representation of triggers on design outcomes. Artificial Intelligence in Engineering Design and Manufacturing, AIEDAM. Journal’s special issue on multi-modal design. Vol 22. Issue -2. Cambridge university press. (I.F=0.6)
16. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir Sarkar, B. Leelavathamma, B.S. Nataraju, 2005, A functional representation for aiding biomimetic and artificial inspiration of new ideas. Artificial Intelligence in Engineering Design and Manufacturing, AIEDAM. Vol. 19, Issue – 2, pp-113-131. Cambridge university press. (I.F.= 0.6)
National Journals (peer reviewed)
1. Prabir Sarkar and Guruprasad Rao, 2013. Creativity Demystified.IPI Journal, Special issue on product design and development – part 3, April/May 2013, Vol. 18 Issue 1, Indian Plastics Institute.
1. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Sudarsan Rachuri, Prabir Sarkar, and Srinivas Kota (Eds.), 2010. Designing Sustainable Products, Services and Manufacturing Systems, Research Publishing Services, Singapore. ISBN: 978-981-08-5466-9.
2. Special issue book: Sudarsan Rachuri, Prabir Sarkar, Dimitris Kiritsis, Masaru Nakano (Eds.), 2009. Developing sustainable products, processes and services. International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, Vol 4, No 1-3. ISSN no. for the journal is 1743-5110.
1. Sudarsan Rachuri, Prabir Sarkar, Anantha Narayanan, Jae Hyun Lee, Paul Witherell, 2011. Towards a Methodology for Analyzing Sustainability Standards using the Zachman Framework. In Jürgen Hesselbach and Christoph Herrmann (Eds.) Globalized Solutions for Sustainability in Manufacturing. ISBN: 978-3-642-19691-1. Springer.
2. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2008. Assessing innovation through product analysis. In Regalla Srinivasa Prakash and Kuldip Sangwan (Eds.), Product Design and Manufacturing: A collaborative and Product Lifecycle Approach, New Age International Publishers, 2010.
3. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2009. Analyzing Creativity Methods. In Amaresh Chakrabarti (Eds.), Research into Design: Supporting Multiple Facets of Product Development, Research Publishing Services.
4. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2008. Studying engineering design creativity- developing a common definition and associated measures. In, John Gero (Ed.) Studying Design Creativity, Springer Verlag, 2008.
5. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2006. Assessing degree of novelty of products to ascertain innovative products. In Bouras A., Gurumoorthy B. and Han S. (Eds.), 2006, Product life cycle management, going beyond product development and delivery, Inderscience Enterprises limited, Switzerland. (http://www.inderscience.com/ browse/ book.php? journalID= 1003&action=editorial)
Proceedings of International Conferences (peer reviewed)
21. Prabir Sarkar, Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2006. Assessing degree of novelty of products to ascertain innovative products. International Conference on Product Life Cycle Management, PLM, 2006.
22. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir Sarkar, B. Leelavathamma, B.S. Nataraju, 2005. A behavioural model for representing biological and artificial systems for inspiring novel designs, International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED 05, Melbourne, August 15– 18, 2005.
National conferences and symposiums (peer reviewed)
1. Sagar Bhimraj Dhage*, Gyanendra Singh Goindi*, Anshu Dhar jayal, Prabir Sarkar, 2013. Influence of cutting tool flank surface texture in mechanical micro-manufacturing of AISI 1045 steel. National conference on manufacturing, vision for future, Oct 12-13, 2013, IIT Guwahati.
2. Prabir Sarkar, 2008. Supporting search of design spaces during design, Symposium on Research in Product Design, 2008, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
3. Prabir Sarkar, 2007. Exploring creativity, Symposium on Research in Product Design, 2007, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
4. Prabir Sarkar and Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2006. Determining and measuring product novelty to ascertain innovation in product development cycle. Proceedings of the National Conference on Design for Product Life Cycle, DPLC. February 17-18, 2006, BITS, Pilani.
5. Amaresh Chakrabarti, Prabir Sarkar, Phaneendra.S, B.S. Nataraju, 2005. A Behavioural Model for Representing Natural and Artificial Systems for Inspiring Novel Designs. Proceedings of 5th National Seminar on Aerospace and related Mechanisms, ARMS, 2005. November 18-19, 2005, ISRO, Bangalore.
6. Prabir Sarkar and K.Vijay, “Implementation of expert system on wire-cutting EDM”, presented in National Level Technical Symposium, held at R.E.C, Kurukshetra, India, Literati, 1997.
1. Prabir Sarkar, Sudarsan Rachuri, Ram D Sriram, 2009. Understanding sustainability of products. Indo-US workshop on Designing Sustainable Products, Services and manufacturing Systems, Bangalore India, Aug 18-20, 2009.
2. Prabir Sarkar, Amaresh Chakrabarti, 2008. Studying engineering design creativity, Invited paper in the Proceedings of the NSF Workshop on Studying Design Creativity, John Gero (ed.), Aix-en-Provence, France, March 2008.
1. Sudarsan Rachuri, Ram D. Sriram, Anantha Narayanan, Prabir Sarkar, Jae-Hyun Lee, Kevin W. Lyons, Sharon J. Kemmerer (Eds.), 2010. Sustainable Manufacturing: Metrics, Standards, and Infrastructure Workshop report, NISTIR.
2. Dozer group, BEML, 2002. DSIR (Govt. of India’s department for Scientific and Industrial Research) report on directional boring system.
3. Dozer group, BEML, 2002. TIFAC (Technology Information Forecasting & Assessment Council) report on Radio Controlled Dozer (Disaster management equipment).
GRANTS RECEIVED (as PI OR CO-PI)
Total research funding received is Rs. 4,29,20,000 ($ 679,222) [as PI = Rs. 1570,000 ($ 24,847) and as co-PI= Rs. 41350,000 ($ 654,375)]
Externally sponsored grants
Even though the department is regarded as the recipient of this highly competitive grant, the following faculties were involved in the proposal writing: Dr. Harpreet Singh, Dr. Dhiraj K. Mahajan, Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Dr. Prabhat K. Agnihotri, Dr. Anshu Dhar Jayal, and Dr. Narinder Singh
Funded by: Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India
Amount: INR 235 lakhs ($ 380,000)
Funded by: Patent Information Centre, Punjab State Council for Science and Technology Amount: INR 20,000 ($ 330) (2014-2015), INR 18,000 (2015-2016)
Institute involved are IIT Ropar, IIM Lucknow, and University of Cambridge
Amount: £ 1 million ($ 1,517,300), IIT Ropar share: INR 89,00,000, Co- PI: Dr. Harpreet Singh, Dr. Prabir Sarkar, and Dr. Ekta Singla from IIT Ropar
Funded by: DST (India)-EPSRC (UK)
Internally sponsored grants
Funded by: IIT Ropar
Amount: INR 1000,000 (approximately $ 18,699), Co- PI: Dr. Prabir Sarkar and Dr. Harpreet Singh
Funded by: IIT Ropar
Amount: INR 570,000 (approximately $ 11,181), Website: drlab.mechengineering.org
Funding Agency: Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar.
Amount: INR 4950,000 (approximately $ 120,000). Co-PI: Dr. Anshu Dhar Jayal and Dr. Prabir Sarkar
Funding Agency: Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar.
Amount: INR 980,000 (approximately $ 21,777)
FUNDED PROJECTS WORKED COLLABORATIVELY
Funding Agency: Department of Commerce, USA.
Amount: Approximately 5 Million USD. Duration: 3 years. Client: Department of Energy, Ford, IBM, Oracle.
Funding Agency: Indian space research organization (ISRO).
Amount: 1000,000 INR (approximately 21,240 USD).
Duration: 1.5 years. Client: Same as the funding agency.
Funding Agency: Technology Information Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC), India.
Amount: 12,000,000 INR (approximately 255,000 USD).
Duration: 1.5 years. Client: Disaster management group, government of India.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
1. MEL 517, Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 4 credits, Lecture: Tutorial: Lab=2:0:4, jointly taught, 2012 (spring) [link to course site]
Graduate level course
1. IIT Ropar started offering master’s degree from Aug 2015. Jointly offering MEL634 Computer Integrated Design and Manufacturing in the next semester
1. GEL 101, Product design and realization -I, 4 credits, Lecture: Tutorial: Lab= 1:0:6, 2011(fall and spring), 2012 (fall and spring), 2013 (fall and spring), 60 students in each batch [link]- core course for all undergraduate students
2. MEP 205, Product design and realization –II, 2 credits, Lecture: Tutorial: Lab= 0:0:4, 2013 (fall), 40 students, jointly taught, core course for ME students.
3. MEN 100, Mechanical engineering, 1 credit, Lecture: Tutorial: Lab = 1:0:0, special classes only, jointly taught (fall, 2012 and 2013) -compulsory course for all undergraduate mechanical students, course for ME students.
4. MEL 467 Design research, 3 credits, Lecture: Tutorial: Lab = 2:0:2, jointly taught, 2013 (spring, 2013; summer, 2014) [Link]-elective course
5. MEL 474, Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing (CADM), 4 credit, Tutorial: Lab = 2:0:4, jointly offered (winter, 2014)-elective course
Short term courses conducted
1. 2010 Short course on design of cars, Frederick school, Maryland, USA
2. 2004 Short term Course: Advanced Aesthetics, to M.Des. students, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
3. 1998, 2002-2003 Taught CAD courses, Trichy, KGF, Bangalore
1. Guest of honor and expert talk on “sustainability and Eco design”, in short term training program on “advances on quality management practices in industries, 10th July, 2015 at National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, HP, organized by Mechanical Department, NIT, Hamirpur.
2. Expert talk on sustainability and eco design in ISTE-PTU Sponsored Faculty Development Programme on, “Emerging Trends in Mechanical Engineering (ETME-15),” Rayat Institute of Engineering & Information Technology, June 8, 2015
3. Panel member, need of product design course in undergraduate study in international symposium on product design, Chandigarh University, 16 July 2014 [Link]
4. Key note speaker, creative problem solving techniques in product design at international workshop on creative product design, Chandigarh University, 15 July 2014
5. Panel member and invited talk, industry academia collaboration at Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Chandigarh, 5th march 2014 [Link]
6. Invited lecture on sustainability and eco-design at Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, 2012
7. Invited lecture on automobile design, Society of Mechanical Engineers (SME), IIT Ropar chapter, 2012
8. Invited lecture on ‘Approaching education related issues using creative problem solving techniques,’ faculty development program, Rayat Institute of Engineering and Information Technology, Ropar Campus, on July 19th, 2011
9. Invited talk on design of new products, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, 2009.
1. Gyanendra Singh Goindi (co-guide, Dr. Anshu Dhar Jayal). Title: Study the effects of ionic liquids as lubricants/ lubricant additives under MQL cutting conditions. Jan 2012-Nov, 2015. Thesis submitted.
2. Sagar Dhage (co-guide, Dr. Anshu Dhar Jayal). Title: surface textured cutting tools for sustainable machining, Jan 2012-present.
3. Bijendra Kumar (guide), 2013-present
Junior Research Fellow (JRF)
1. Geo Raju (co guided by Dr. Harpreet Singh and Dr. Ekta Singla). Project DST (India) -EPSRC (UK) funded, Engineering Driven Sustainable Supply Network Design project.
2. Rakshit (co guided by Dr. Harpreet Singh and Dr. Ekta Singla). Project DST (India) -EPSRC (UK) funded, Engineering Driven Sustainable Supply Network Design project.
1. Sheshanth Pallakonda (co guided by Dr. Harpreet Singh and Dr. Ekta Singla). Project DST (India) -EPSRC (UK) funded, Engineering Driven Sustainable Supply Network Design project.
2. Dikshit Sharma. Support for reduction of cost and environmental impact of components through the selection of suitable manufacturing processes (external: Kurukshetra university)
Undergraduate B.Tech. final year (BTP) Project, CPP 302
1. Expert review website, Asish Dhingan, P Mukesh, Ravi Mohan Meena, and Alok Mishra (CS students), 2015
2. Real estate website development, Navneet Singh, Naveen Kumar, Honey Singla, and Naman Chhabra (CS students), 2015
3. Prediction of the effect of design changes on company’s performance, Siddharth L., 2015
4. Seed oil extractor, Javed Khan and Nishant Kumar. Co-guides: Dr. Harpreet Singh and Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2014
5. Handy machine to extract oil from mustard seeds, Ajay Kumar Verma and Pareep Singhroha. Co-guides: Dr. Harpreet Singh and Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2013
6. Development of particleboard using Rice/Wheat Straw, Ankush Kumar and Lal Singh, 2013. Co-guides: Dr. Navin Kumar (IIT Ropar), Dr. Prabir Sarkar (IIT Ropar), and Dr. Pradeep Kushwaha (Indian plywood Industries Research &Training Institute)
7. Development of software tool for sustainability evaluation in product design, Parteek Singla, Prashant Yadav, Praveen Kumar Sah, and Raj Narayan Saha. Co-guides: Dr. Anshu Jayal and Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2012
8. Regenerative braking system for human powered vehicles, Raj Narayan Saha and Prashant Yadav. Co-guides: Dr. Anshu Jayal and Dr. Prabir Sarkar, 2012 - patent applied for the final design
Five summer internship projects- completed
Initiated institute wide design exhibitions, many times,
1. April 2015 ((Approximate number of products displayed= 14, products guided=14)
2. November 2014 (Approximate number of products displayed= 58, products guided=18)
3. April 2014 (Approximate number of products displayed= 24, products guided (co, self)=24)
4. April 2013 (Approximate number of products displayed= 28, products guided(co, self)=28)
5. November 2012 (Approximate number of products displayed= 24, products guided=24)
6. November 2013 (Approximate number of products displayed= 28, products guided=28)
7. April 2012 (Approximate number of products displayed= 14, products guided=14)
8. November 2011 (Approximate number of products displayed= 28, products guided =28)
Editor/ Editorial board member
1. Research in Engineering Design, Springer (several papers, >5)
2. Journal of Engineering Design, Taylor and Francis (several papers, >5)
3. Co-Design, Taylor and Francis
4. International Journal of Design Engineering, Inderscience Publishers
5. Production Planning and Control, Taylor and Francis
6. International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, Taylor and Francis
7. Design studies, Elsevier
8. Journal of Mechanical design, ASME
9. IEEE, T-ASE
10. Sadhana, Springer
11. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Springer
12. Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, Springer
13. Design science, Cambridge university press
1. 5th International Conference on PLMSS 2015.
2. International conference on research into design (ICoRD'15), Bangalore, India
3. International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE), ASME 2014
4. IEEE-TASE, 2013, Aston university
5. iNaCoMM, 2013. 1st International and 16th National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms, IIT Roorkee.
6. ACM SIGCHI Creativity & Cognition 2009 conference, October 27-30, 2009. Berkeley Art Museum & UC Berkeley, USA
7. ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE)
8. ASME 2009 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC) & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE)
9. DCC, 2008. Third international Conference on Design Computing and Cognition, 2008 (DCC, 2008), 23-25 June, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA
10. TMCE 2008. Seventh International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering (TMCE 2008), April 21-25, 2008, Izmir, Turkey
International programme committee member
1. International Programme Committee of the 3rd International Conference on Design Creativity (3rd ICDC), 2014.
2. International Programme Committee of the ICORD, 2015. 5th International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD'13), Bangalore, India.
3. International Programme Committee of the ICORD, 2013. 4th International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD'13), Bangalore, India.
1. Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), membership number: 100037361 (2009-current)
2. Member of Design Society (DS), UK, membership number: DS00766 (2012-current)
3. Member of IEEE (Member #90634796) (2014- current)
4. Life member of Indian Science Congress Association, membership number: L26809
5. Member of SIG, Design Creativity, Design Society (2008-current)
6. Member of International Association of Engineers (IAENG) (130646) (2013-current)
7. Senior member, Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society (APCBEES) (100789) (2013-current)
Academic and administrative services at the School of Mechanical, Materials and Energy Engineering at IIT Ropar
· Member, web development committee (2012-present)
· Member, manufacturing machines, tools, and equipment committee (2013- present)
· Member, standing purchase committee for manufacturing group (13.9.2011-present)
· Member, short listing committee member for SMMEE faculty recruitment (2011, 2012)
· Member, purchase committee of Product design and realization computer laboratory (2013)
· Founder faculty, design research laboratory (2012-present)
· Co-founder faculty, sustainable design and manufacturing laboratory (2012- present)
· Co-founder faculty, design studio laboratory (2013-current)
Academic and administrative services at IIT Ropar
· Co-coordinator of the central workshop
· Member, doctoral Scrutiny Committee (DSC) for eight students (Ashpreet singh, Jaspreet Singh Chahal, Ashis Gupta, Sameer Gupta, Neha singh bhakal, saikha bhatta, harish Kumar Nirala, devi prasad dash) of the department and the institute (date of joining of these students-present)
· Member, web development committee of the institute (2012-present)
· Member, banner and hoarding committee (2012-present)
· Member, guest house facility committee (2012-2013)
· Member of selection committee of Junior Attendant (Semi-skilled) (ME) (09.05.2013)
· Member, numerous purchase and short term committees (2011- current)
· Member, new campus development committee (2013-present)
· Member, institute car purchase and renting committee (2013-present)
· Coordinator of Product design and realization manufacturing laboratory (workshop) (2013-present)
· Developed four products for Rural Technology Action Group (RuTAG) group
· Member of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, IIT Ropar
· Chairman, IPR cell committee
· Started Intellectual Property Cell (IPR cell) at IIT Ropar and received initial grant from PSCST (July 2014)
· Coordinating with Patent Information Centre (PSC), Punjab State Council for Science and Technology (PSCST) and Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), Government of India for patent filing (2013-present)
International conferences/workshops/design exhibitions co-organized
1. Conducted a one-day workshop on IPR at IIT Ropar, 3 March, 2015.
2. Session moderator of Industrial academia conclave (IAC), 2015, IIT Ropar.
3. Session chair and conducted a workshop on sustainability at the International Conference on Research in Design, ICORD 2015, Bangalore, India, 7-9th January, 2015.
4. Co-chair of 29th Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE), Product Lifecycle Management for Sustainable Manufacturing (CIE-9-1 PLM-1), ASME 2009 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, August 28 –September 2, 2009, San Diego.
5. Indo-US workshop on Designing Sustainable Products, Services and manufacturing Systems, Bangalore, India, Aug 18-20, 2009.
6. NIST Workshop on Sustainable Manufacturing: Metrics, Standards, and Infrastructure, October 13-15 2009, NIST.
7. Research in Product Design, 2007 and 2008, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
8. Indo –US Workshop, Engineering design, 2007, Bangalore.
9. Green Design Workshop, 2007, Bangalore.
10. Ripples 2000, 2005, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
11. Technical Program committee member of Prodigy, 1997- a technical symposium, National Institute Technology, Trichy.
TRAINING / CERTIFICATES
New product development
Medical equipment design
· Completed design and manufacturing of a project titled “Bone alignment measuring system” along with four students of IIT Ropar and with Dr. Chawan of PGI hospital, Chandigarh.
· Developed “improved surgical cutter for plastic surgery” for Dr. Sunil Gaba of Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh along with Dr. S. S. Padhee and Mr Sameer Mishra, a summer internship student, 2015.
36 course projects leading to 5 patents applied
ABOUT ME >