This 1977 map (based on 1952 air photos) shows the ancient trail from West La Loche to Garson Lake and the old gravel route of Highway 155. .....view more of this map.
The road that La Loche built
A road to the village of Garson Lake along with a connecting road to Alberta had been a project long hoped for by
the residents of La Loche.
In 1981 it became part of the economic development plan for the village.
La Loche began to search for ways to get the work done.
In 1983 the village of La Loche received environmental approvals needed for the road construction.
In 1986 one kilometer had been constructed.
In 1988 a twelve kilometer section was completed up to the hamlet of Black Point.
In 1989 a 40 meter right of way was cleared from the Black Point turnoff to Garson Lake.
In 1996 six kilometers was done.
In 1998 seven kilometers was done.
In 1999 the last 18 kilometers of road to Garson Lake was completed.
In 1999 the 44 kilometer road was officially opened.
The following "Chronological Summary" outlines the planning that was done in achieving this goal.
It shows where the funding came from and who were the people involved.
This paper was prepared by the village of La Loche. This copy is from October 2011.
See more information on the following link.
Garson Lake Road bridge over the La Loche River.