The People‎ > ‎

3. Bull's House


"Cree at Bull's House" circa 1911 from Glenbow Archives.  
This photo (edited) taken by the Crean Expedition in 1908 has recently been identified as having been taken in Bull's House and could be the homes of the women and 
children pictured above but taken nearer the tree line where the clotheslines are. The two photos might have even been taken on the same day.
One can just see the outline of a house across the river in both pictures. http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/03965

Bull's House, Saskatchewan


Father Penard wrote in 1895 that there were 6 families at Bull's House. 

Bull's House was located on the La Loche River a few kilometres upriver from Peter Pond Lake.  
It was on the fur brigade route that began at the Red River Colony (Winnipeg) and continued on to the Methye Portage and the Athabasca River.
It was an outpost of the Hudson's Bay Company during the fur trade and in 1872 it was one of the four posts listed in the English River District of the Hudson's Bay Company.
Bull’s House boasted "one postmaster, one interpreter, two fishermen, and six canoemen/labourers" 
Oxen and horses used for hauling freight at the Portage were sometimes overwintered there. 
During periods of high water that flooded fields at Bull's House hay was cut a few miles away at Hay Point for the animals. 

"Bull’s House, also known as Riviere La Loche, was located on the north end
of Buffalo Lake, 45 miles from the store at the south end of Lac La Loche and
70 miles from Île à la Crosse. The purpose of Bull’s House was to winter the
oxen required for the summer transport system at Portage La Loche. Except
in years of high waters, there were natural hay meadows at Bull’s House where
the cattle grazed. When water levels were too high, hay was obtained from
Buffalo Lake, three miles from the outpost. According to McMurray, Bull’s
House had the best winter fishery in the District, supplying both Portage La
Loche and Île à la Crosse when their own fisheries failed.21 As a result, there
developed at Bull’s House a substantial residential population that performed
all of these necessary tasks". from ‘The Comforts of Married Life’: Metis Family Life,
Labour, and the Hudson’s Bay Company---by Brenda Macdougall
   
A few cabins are still situated at Bull's House and maintained by residents of the district.
A cemetery is also located there.

This village may have begun as an NWC post in 1795.

Two views of Bull's House from the west bank of the La Loche River in 1908-1909 taken by the Crean Expedition.
http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/03780


1906 Canada Census transcription for Bull's House with 12 people.

12

110

LeLiberté

Raphael

Head

M

M

56

 

 

Bull's House No Post Office

 

 

13

 

 

Eliza

Wife

F

M

48

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

14

 

 

Helen

Daughter

F

S

18

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

15

 

 

Emerline

Daughter

F

S

11

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

16

 

 

John

Son

M

S

11

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

17

 

 

Alfred

Son

M

S

9

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

18

 

 

Mary J

Daughter

F

S

7

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

19

 

 

Robert

Son

M

S

5

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

20

 

 

Joseph

Son

M

S

1

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

21

111

McAllum

Magnus

Head

M

M

45

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

22

 

 

Mary

Wife

F

M

40

"

 

"

 

 

 

 

23

 

 

Joseph

Son

M

S

        5

"

 

Portage La Loche No Post Office

 

 


Location of Bull's House near the end of the La Loche River.
Comments