Southcote, or Southcott,
originally of Southcote in Winkleigh. an interesting site here
Barbara Southcott daughter of John Southcott of Indiho married in 1543 1st wife of Hugh Pomeroy of Ingsdon in Ilsington by whom he had 6 daughters and 5 sons – she died in 1563
Their granddaughter Barbara Pomeroy married Stephen Southcott in 1611 and subsequently married Arthur Seccombe
This ancient family probably originates from 12th or 13th century , around the time Henry III. Southcote, or Southcott, originally of Southcote is in Winkleigh in Devon.
The elder branch, into which the heiresses of Keynes and Pury, and a coheiress of Bohum, had married, became extinct in the sixteenth century.
One heiress married a Callard ( this connects to the lateral line of the descendants of Edward Pomeroy and his wife Margaret Beville whose grandson John Pomeroy inherited Collaton in Newton Ferrers from his grandmother in 1461. Thomas Hext who married Jane Callard widow of John Stone , was mother of Mary Stone who married Digory Hext son of Thomas and their daughter Jane, married Andrew Pomeroy son of John of Collaton at St Kew in 1601.
The John Southcote, appointed one of the justices of the King's Bench in 1562, was son of a younger brother of the last Southcote of this place.
The Southcotes of Indiho, in Bovey Tracey, and of
Mohun's Ottery were descended from a second son.
Mohun's Ottery was sold in 1678 by Thomas Southcote, then the representative of this branch. At Collumpton there is a monument without date, said to be for the last heir male of the Southcote family and probably last of this branch.
Sir George Southcote, of Shillingford, eldest son of Thomas Southcote, of Indiho, by his third wife, married a co-heiress of Cole, of Buckland Touissaints, and was ancestor of the late John Henry Southcote, Esq., who sold Buckland, and died in 1820. Cole connects to Reynell and Pomeroy and Hody all of whom married Pomeroy’s
Sir George Southcote, of Shillingford, eldest son of Thomas Southcote, of Indiho, by his third wife, married a co-heiress of Cole, of Buckland Touissaints, and was ancestor of the late John Henry Southcote, Esq., who sold Buckland, and died in 1820.
Another branch of this family, descended from a younger son of Southcote of Indiho, was of Calverleigh, which was sold before 1700 to Sir Henry Fane: a co-heiress of Robins married into this branch.
A younger branch of the Southcotes of Calverleigh settled at Dulcis, in Kilmington, in consequence of a marriage with the heiress of Frye. The heiress of the elder son of this branch brought Dulcis to the Hallets.
A younger son settled at Colwell, in Offwell, having married the heiress of Collins.
1. Agnes born Abt 1523, Indiho House, Bovey Tracey, Devonshire, Spouses/Children:
Richard REYNELL, M.P.
2. Elizabeth dau of Thomas of Calwoody married Richard WALTHAM.
3. Elizabeth daughter of John SOUTHCOTT and Jane TREMAYNE, born Abt 1562, Southcott, Devon, England Elizabeth married Richard SERGEANT on 6 Aug 1593. (Richard SERGEANT was born about 1558.) Born: Abt 1562, Southcott, Devon, England Married: 6 Aug 1593, George died Between 6 Jan 1649 and 31 Oct 1649 George married Mary FRIE.
4. Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Southcott of Bovey Tracey and Grace Barnhouse married Sir Anthonie ROUS Kt., son of Richard ROUS and Eleanor MARUNI. (Sir Anthonie ROUS Kt. died before 4 Jun 1621.)
5. John son of John Southcott & Margaret Norris married Jane TREMAYNE, daughter of Thomas TREMAYNE of Collacombe and Phillipa GRENVILLE, on 1 Sep 1561 in Lamerton, Devon, England (Jane TREMAYNE was born in "Collacombe Manor", Lamerton, Devon, England and was buried on 9 Oct 1603 in Southcott, Devonshire, England died After 1601, Southcott, Devonshire, England
6. John son of Nicholas Southcott & Margaret Bossom born Abt 1481, Indiho House, Bovey Tracey, Devonshire, England died 15 Sep 1556, married Joanna HANKFORD about 1511 (Joanna HANKFORD was born about 1485 and died on 11 Apr 1546 in Indiho House, Bovey Tracey,
7. John son of John Southcott & Jane Tremayne born Abt 1568, Southcott, married Miss PROWSE about 1612. (Miss PROWSE was born about 1572.)
8. Mary daughter of John Southcott married Thomas CARY of Cockington, son of Robert CARY and Jane CAREW. (Thomas CARY of Cockington was born in 1505 and died in 1567
9. Mary daughter of Thomas Southcott of Calwoody & Marie Coker married William COLMAN on 14 Oct 1607 in Tiverton, Devon, England.
10. Mary daughter of Thomas Southcott and Thomasine Kirkham married Sir William STRODE Kt., son of Richard STROWDE and Frances CROMWELL, on 15 Jul 1581 in Bovey Tracey, Devon, England (Sir William STRODE Kt. was born Jul-Aug 1562 in "Newnham Manor", Plympton St., Mary, Devon, England died in Jun 1637 in "Newnham Manor", Plympton St., Mary, buried on 28 Jun 1637
11. Mary SOUTHCOTT daughter of Thomas Southcott of Bovey Tracey and Grace Barnhouse married Thomas RIDGWAY of Tor Mohun, son of John RIDGWAY alias PEACOCKE and Elizabeth WENDFORD, on 12 Jan 1562-1563 in Bovey Tracey, Devon, England. (Thomas RIDGWAY of Tor Mohun died on 27 Jun 1597
12. Nicholas son of Nicholas Southcott and Margaret or Jane Pury married Margaret BOSSOM, daughter of John DE BOZOM and Joan FORTESCUE, about 1480 born Abt 1450, Southcott, Devon, England
13. Phillip son of John SOUTHCOTT and Jane TREMAYNE married Martha GRENVILLE, daughter of Richard GRENVILLE and Florence KELLOWAY, about 1584 born Abt 1564
14. Richard son of Thomas Southcott of Calwoody & Marie Coker born Before 1592 died After 26 Feb 1639-1640 –married Elizabeth
15. Roger son of son of John SOUTHCOTT and Jane TREMAYNE born Abt 1570, Southcott, married Miss TAILOR about 1600. Thomas son of Thomas Southcott of Calwoody & Marie Coker born 1512, Indiho House, Bovey Tracey, died 10 Aug 1600, Indiho House.
16. Thomas son of John Southcott and Joanna Hankford Born: 1512, Indiho House, married Thomasine KIRKHAM, daughter of Thomas KIRKHAM of Blagdon and Cicily CAREW, between 1547 and 155 of Bovey Tracy, Esq.
17. Thomas son of Thomas Southcott of Bovey Tracey married Marie CROKER, daughter of John CROKER of Linham, Esq. and Elizabeth STROWD
18. Thomas of Calwoodley son of Thomas Southcott married Grace BARNHOUSE, daughter of John BARNHOUSE and Margaret KIRKHAM. died 22 Aug 1522
19. Ursula daughter of Thomas Southcott and Thomasine Kirkham married Robert HILL, son of Oliver HILL and Agnes BUDOCKSHIDE, on 15 Oct 1576 in Bovey Tracey,