Lucy Hody daughter of Gilbert ( called Hugh) Hody on 4th June 1680 married Valentine Pomeroy son of Valentine Pomeroy and Margaret Whiddon at Bynley Harburton ( not in IGI)
Elizabeth Upton dau of John Upton of Lupton married Christopher Hody of Nethway- her brother John Hody was a distinguished Knight of Malta and her eldest brother Arthur married Gertrude Fortesque dau. Of Hugh Fortesque of Filleigh
Baptisms ARTHUR HODY s/o Mr GILBERT baptised 26 06 1655
ARTHUR HODY s/o Mr CHRISTOPHER baptised 19 07 1656
ARTER HODY Esq s/o JOHN & LUCE baptised 12 09 1688
ANN HODY s/o esq JOHN & LUCE baptised 27 02 1690/1
LUCE HODY esq d/o JOHN & LUCE baptised 26 04 1692
HUGH HODY s/o JOHN ESQ & LUCY baptised 02 01 1693/4
ELIZABETH HODY d/o JOHN ESQ & LUCEY baptised 05 08 1696
Mrs THOMASIN HODY buried 14 05 1684
Mrs DOROTHY HODY buried 18 09 1689
LUCE HODY D/o JOHN ESQ buried 01 04 1690
HODY was a family of considerable antiquity, though of no great note, in Devon. Jordan de Hode held lands in Hode in the thirteenth century; Richard de Hody was the king's escheator of that county in 1353/4 and 1357/8; and the same office was filled by William Hody in 1400/1.
The Hodys of
Nethway in Brixham became a very powerful family locally
and were resident from 1435 until 1699.
During the Hodys’ time, a font was dug up in the grounds and may have been used for pig fodder but it is now the font in Kingswear church.
Sir John Hody, Chief Justice of the Kings Bench 1440 the family lived at Nethway until 1696. The father of the chief justice was Thomas Hody, who was lord of the manor of Kington Magna, near Shaftesbury, in the adjoining county of Dorset, in 1419/20, and in the same year was king's escheator there.
He married Margaret Cole , daughter and heiress of John Cole, of Nitheway, near Torbay, in Devon, which thus became the birthplace of his children. Their elder son Alexander was a devoted partisan of the Lancastrian cause, and was attainted in the first year of Edward IV. for his adherence to Henry VI.
Otterhampton near Bridport in North Devon - In 1651 the manor was held by Hugh Hody, who had purchased it from Gilbert Hody. In 1664 Hugh settled it on his son Gilbert. Hugh died c. 1670 and Gilbert by 1697 leaving as his heirs Anne, wife of Hugh Pomeroy, and Joan, both probably his daughters.
It was settled by Joan in 1713 and 1714 on her marriage to George Chudleigh. (fn. 25) Sir George Chudleigh, Bt., died in 1738 and the estate was held by his second wife Frances Davie (d. c. 1748). (fn. 26) Margaret Chudleigh, one of their four daughters, sold the manor to Robert Evered in 1755.
Alverdiscott, or Alscott in the hundred of Fremington, lies about six or seven miles from Barnstaple. The villages of Bullworthy and Stonecross are in this parish.
The church has a memorial to Gilbert Hody, Esq. of Nethway, 1686.
The pedigree of Huddy in the Visitation of 1573 begins with Sir Thomas (John), husband of Margaret Cole of Nitheway, who was father of Sir John, husband of Elizabeth Jewe.
Margaret Pomeroy 2nd daughter of Sir Henry Pomeroy and Elizabeth Carminow married John Cole and their son, John Cole , was heir to Sir John Pomeroy circa 1416.
If this family had parted with the manor they must have reserved the advowson, as Lucy Hody and John her son were patrons in 1709.)
John Cole, esquire (d. c . 1428). An important member of the political community in Devon, especially under Henry IV, Cole was a second-generation familiar of Earl Edward, his father, Sir Adam Cole, having been steward of the earl's household in 1381-2.Edward's patronage extended to other members of the Cole family, for Henry Cole, John Cole and Nicholas Cole all received livings in the earl's gift.
John Cole, esquire, was the cousin of Sir Thomas Pomeroy, a retainer of Henry IV's. Together they pursued what were often quite dubious claims against another cousin, Edward Pomeroy, who was forcibly ejected by way of the windows from his house at Berry Pomeroy in 1428. Defenestration!
Cole was sheriff
of Devon in 1405-6,
and served abroad in 1415 under Richard Duke of Gloucester, later Richard
III and in 1417 under Sir
Thomas Carew. His standing in county
society--he was a grand juror in 1414 resulted from his connections with such
as the earl and Pomeroy, and from his extensive possessions.
Hody took care to augment his lands and local influence by obtaining royal grants: in 1428 he was awarded a joint lease of lands lately belonging to Sir Thomas Pomeroy, during the minority of his heir
A2A- 1 -Grant and counterpart 2203 A-2/PF 4 & 5 1651 Contents:
John Reeve the
younger of Brixham, yeoman
1. Hugh Hody of Nethway, esq., Elias Pomeroy son of Roger Pomeroy of Sandridg esq. and Humphrey Sheare of Churston Ferrers, gent.
John Upton, Gilbert
Hody et al. Premises: one mansion
and dwelling house in Kingswear and one tenement and lands called Mouth in
also yearly payments of 20/- to the Almshouse lying by the way to the castle of Dartmouth, 20/- to the Almshouse built by Mr. Street, 20/- to the Lazar House in Totnes;
from residue of the profits, for the next twenty years, £5 is to be given to Kingswear, £5 to Brixham, £5 to Churston Ferrers, for the apprenticing of the poor children of those parishes; the residue of the profits is, after the next twenty years, to be paid for the maintenance of a preaching minister in St. Saviour's, Dartmouth, to preach once a week on some working day in every week, if there is no such minister in Dartmouth, the money is to go to a similar minister in Kingswear
CHARLINCH deeds DD\GB/45 1621 2 docts. Contents:
Manors of Pillesdon and Kington als. Kington Parva, co.Dorset; farm or tenement called Aysshe Bulleyne als. Ayshe in Martock; manors of Gothelney in Charlinch, Otterhampton, Newnham in Stogursey, all formerly of Hugh Hody of Gothelney, esq., brother of Rich. Hody;
bargain and sale of 1620/1 by John Hody of Nethway, Devon, esq., Anne widow of Rich. Hody of Revolshay, co.Dorset, and her daughters and coheirs Bridget and Frances Hody, to Wm. Penny of East Coker, esq., and Hugh Strode of Beaminster, co. Dorset, gent.
Capital messuage, farm, and demesne lands of Gothelney of 240a. in Charlinch, Spaxton, Wembdon, Bridgwater, Cannington and Durleigh, formerly occupied by Roger Bourne, decd., late by Florence Baber, widow; mortgage (by lease and release, lease missing) of 1721/2 by Thos. Bourne of Gothelney, esq., to Edw. Raymond of Bridgwater, gent.
by 1850 Nethway House was owned by , J.F. Luttrell, Esq., of Dunster Castle.