about two miles north of Launceston. In 1249 it was called Wufrinton, 1324 it was called Worryinton, the land was held by the Abbey of Tavistock under King Edward, who had 116 villiens, 25 borders, 20 serfs and 20 soscot and 'the manor paid 20 pounds ‘by tale and under jing' ( by tale may refer to an in-tale but 'Jing ' remains an expression I have never discovered a meaning to. With hindsight - that wonderful facility, it may simply be a mistranscription ) )
Its population is small and scattered. In the 19th C it had 25 head of cattle, 150 sheep, 20 acres of wood 100 acres of meadow and 5000 acres of pasture. There were 75 houses 104 families with around 249 women and , 240 men. 347 of whom had agricultural occupations, 7 did manufacturing work and 135 had other occupations.
Once in Devon it is now in Cornwall since the 1966 boundary changes. The parish contains the small villages of Yeolmbridge, Druxen, Eggbeer, and numerous farms.Duke of Bedford. He came from humble origins and was originally Francis Russell. He was made Earl of Bedford after his successful suppression of the Prayerbook Rebellion. One of his many prizes was the manor of Werrington. He later sold it to a nephew of Sir Francis Drake whose heirs sold the property to the Morice family in 1661. Sir William Morice was Secretary of State to Charles II. The Barton estate belonging to the Duke of Northumberland, who resided there occasionally.
Werrington Park is described as a neat mansion with a park of 355 acres, considered one of the most beautiful in the West Country, extending across the river Ottery into Cornwall.
There was a slate quarry there in the 18th and 19th century producing slate regarded as being finer that that of Delabole, near St Teath , and very fire resistent. Owned latterly by the Milne family, it was fairly famous in its time. The other source of employment was the nearby Bude Canal and Duxton Wharf at Cross Gates.
The parish is in the Archdeaconry of Cornwall, and Deanery of Trigg Major. The Church (St. Martin and St. Giles,) was rebuilt in 1742, and is a handsome structure, with a large tower, and two small ones at the west end. Werrington parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Settlement Papers (1767 to 1831) and Bastardy Bonds (1752 to 1830), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
Oddly enough...200 years before
Werrington House as stated before, once belonged to the Duke of Bedford, Francis Russell. He was the 1st Duke and came from humble origins and became rich and powerful in the Tudor era serving variously as Lord High Admiral and Lord Privy Seal.
(Familial ties - Johanna Sapcot dau of Sir John Sapcot married Edward Pomeroy son of Richard Pomeroy&Elizabeth Densil, widow Fortescue & father of Thomas who sold the family manors in 1547 and later got involved in the Prayerbook Rebellion of 1549 ),
Lord Russell's wife Anne Sapcot brought him a dowry that included Chenies Manor House and he enlarged this now famous and very beautiful old house to reflect his new good fortunes. With his standing in good favour with the King and Cardinal Wolsey, he was given the Abbey and town of Tavistock, after the Dissolution as well as the area that is now Covent Garden.
His son John continued the family's good fortune and was made Earl of Bedford after his successful suppression of the Prayerbook Rebellion. He was made a Knight of the Garter in 1564, and appears to have been a generous and popular man He died in London and was buried at the family chapel next to Chenies Manor House, the family estate which he had made his principal home and where he had entertained Queen Elizabeth in 1570.
One of his many prizes after the 1549 rebellion was the manor of Werrington. He later sold it to Sir Francis Drake a nephew of Drake the adventurer, whose heirs sold the property to the Morice family in 1661. Sir William Morice was Secretary of State to Charles II. The Barton estate belonging to the Duke of Northumberland, who resided there occasionally.
(Sir John Russell was uncle to Johanna daughter of Thomas Bowerman/Borman who married Hugh of Tregony and Russell arranged the marriage settlement)
Here is the marriage settlement drafted by Sir John Russell for Hugh Pomeroy and Sir John Russell's niece, Johan Borman or Bowerman It also serves as an entailment which comes into play years later, bringing Tregony back into the hands of Roger Pomeroy, of Sandridge. It also saved Tregony and Stockleigh Pomeroy from the sale of 1547.
3799M-0/T/11/2 1539 Devon Record Office
Contents: Marriage settlement
2.(Sir Thomas Pomeroy) is to grant to Hugh and Johan his manor of Stockleigh Pomeroy, to be held by them and the heirs male of Hugh, also the manor of Tregony in Cornwall to be held by Hugh and his heirs' male after the death of Thomas Pomeroy, (Sir Thomas) , who is also to grant to Hugh and Johan an annuity of £4. If (Sir) Thomas Pomeroy dies without heirs male of his body then all his manors and lands are to remain to Hugh and his heirs male of the body and for default of heirs, to William Pomeroy, another brother of Thomas
Thomas £100 and is to pay £50 on Hugh and Johan's wedding day, and a further £50 at the following Michaelmas
Ten years later Russell may also have been influential in the leniency shown to Sir Thomas Pomeroy after the 1549 Prayerbook Rebellion in which he lead the suppression of the rebellion which lead to the execution of the ringleaders and the death of many of the perpetrators.