Adapted from Elefantitas Alegres
Makes 6-8 slices (serves 2-3 people for dinner)
1 frozen pie crust
1 chicken apple sausage (I got mine from Trader Joe's)
1 large garlic clove, pressed
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
3 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
5.6 oz nonfat Greek yogurt (1 small container)
3/4 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded (I used Mexican blend, jack and cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes and remove. Reduce oven heat to 350.
2. In the meantime, grill sausage on a griddle or grill pan over high until heated through. Slice thinly and set aside.
3. Over medium-high heat on another burner, heat olive oil until shiny. Add garlic and saute until fragrant but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, garlic salt, and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Add in the sausage and spinach in small batches if they're still warm to prevent the egg mixture from cooking too quickly. Once it's all combined, pour the mixture into the parbaked pie shell, being careful not to overfill.
5. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top of the quiche and continue
to bake for 25-30 more minutes, until completely set. Remove from oven
and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Printed from Playing House