BROWN SUGAR POUND CAKEMakes 10 to 12 Servings
2 Sticks Butter (1 Cup)
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 Box Dark Brown Sugar
5 Large Eggs
1 Cup Milk
3 Cups Cake Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Stand Mixer
1 Tube Cake Pan
A little extra shortening to grease the pan
Now the baking:
- Preheat oven to 275
- Grease and flour the cake pan. (with a paper towel, rub the entire inside of the pan and the tube column with shortening. Add a couple of tables spoons of flour. Tilt and roll the flour around on the inside of the pan until all the greased surfaces are coated with a thin layer of flour)
- With a Stand Mixer - Cream the butter, shortening and sugar
- Add the Eggs and beat well
- Sift together Flour, Salt and Baking Powder
- Add to the Sugar mixture Alternately:
- 1 Cup flour mixture / 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 Cup Flour Mixture / 1/2 Cup milk
- Ending with the last cup or so of flour
- Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- You just want to mix the ingredients together until they are smooth and homogeneous. The more you beat, the tougher the cake will be.
- Bake at 275 for 30 minutes
- Raise the temp to 300 and bake for 15 minutes
- Raise the temp again to 325 and bake for 45 minutes
- Note: Leave the cake in the oven while raising the temperature - the time for each of the levels includes the time for the oven to get up to temperature.
- Let the cake cool and turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.