Rustic homemade yeasted bread
425g (15oz)bread flour
1 heaping tbsp. course ground salt
1/4 tsp. dried yeast
1. Put all your ingredients into a large bowl and mix until just combined.
2. Cover with cling wrap and leave overnight for at least 8 but preferably 12 hours.
3. Form your loaf. Place a generous amount of flour on your kitchen counter. Scoop dough out onto the flour then sprinkle generously with more flour. Gently fold the edges from the outside to form a round loaf.
4. Place more flour on a clean tea towel. Place loaf with the rough top side down. Sprinkle with semolina, if using, or more flour. Cover.
5. Place a large oven proof dish with a lid in the oven. I used my medium sized, dutch oven. Preheat oven and the pan to the hottest setting for at least 1/2 hour.
6. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven. Remove lid. Sprinkle a little semolina, in the base of the pan. Gently place loaf in the pan inverted so that the rougher surface is now on the top. Don't worry about smoothing it out or having it centered--it will work itself out in the oven. Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife, making some slashes. You'll love the look of these grooves when baked.
7. Pop the lid back on and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the lid and turn the oven down to 400 F bake for a further 15 minutes until the loaf is deep brown.
9. Cool on a wire rack uncovered for at least 30 minutes.