History of, Wiggins and Stone County MS. In 1823, Lt. Col. John Bond Jr. was the 2nd person to receive Land Patent in the Area that became Stone County, MS. The name of his Land Patent was Indie, Mississippi and was located around 3 Miles West of Wiggins MS at a Large Spring. His Mail Address at that time was John Bond, Indie Mississippi.
He recieved Mail about 3 times a Month from the Post Office at Bay St. Louis MS.
In December of 1823 his son, Elisha Bond carried a Letter to the Bond families in Covington and Lawrence Counties, MS describing the Area.
He described the Area and encouraged the entire Col John Bond Sr family to relocate to the Area that is now Stone County MS.
Before the end 1824, part of the Descendants of Col John Bond Sr. were in Hancock County MS.
When Lt Col John Bond Jr came to the Area that is now Stone County MS in 1823, one Houma Indian family lived by Red Creek in 1823.
Chief Manitema who was French instructed the Houma Indians not harm the new Settlers to the Area because he did not want a War like the War of 1812 with the Americans that destroyed the Creek Indians.
There were Houma Indians near, Red Creek, Old Creek, and this family lived 3 1/2 Miles South-West of present day Wiggins MS in the Area that is now Stone County MS.
The Houma Indian Tribe was a small Tribe of around 60 to 80 Indians.
The Houma Indians had a lighter skin color than the Choctaw Indians.
In 1833 most of the Choctaw Indians were recloated by the United States Army to Oklahoma but the majority of Houma Indian families decided to become American Citizens.
In 1895, Sarah Lydia Cruthirds Herrington owned 20 Acres of Land at the future Town Wiggins MS that was completely surounded by Property that was owned by the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Company in 1895.
The Niles Lumber Company of Ohio purchased the
Property that surrounded the future town of Wiggins, MS from the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Company. The Railroad Track was completed thru the Property that became Wiggins, MS in August of 1896.
In 1901, the Niles Lumber Company of Ohio sold the Property to the Finkbine Guild Lumber Company.
A proclamation was signed on March 26, 1904 incorporating the municipality of Wiggins in Harrison County Mississippi.
Thomas Erwin Bond was the Postmaster of the local Flintcreek-B, Post Office that delivered Mail one time a Week to Families who lived near the Post Office when the Railroad Track was built thru Flintcreek-B, Miss.
The old Flintcreek-B Post Office was located between present Border St. and Highway 26.
The local Community was Flintcreek-B, Miss. Madison Hatten's address was ( Madison Hatten, Flint Creek-B, Miss.) as a example of their addresses.
[The Wiggins Hatten Family] James Madison Hatten is the young Man on the right side of the Picture. The Wiggins Hatten family relocated from Covington County, Miss. to Harrison County, Miss. in 1881.
The US Postal Department would accept applications for new Post Offices when Railroad Tracks were built thru Communities or Towns so that Mail could be delivered by Trains instead of Wagons or Buggies.
In 1897, James Madison Hatten filed for a Post Office named Wiggins to honor his father Wiggins Hatten.
The US Postal Department approved his application and Flintcreek-B, Miss. became Wiggins, Miss.
First Street in Wiggins MS has been located within West Florida, Indian Territory, Hancock County MS, Harrison County MS, and is now located in Stone County MS.
And Wiggins MS is a Town in Stone County MS instead of Virgin Pine Forest.
In 1856 Lt Col John Bond Jr. received a Military Land Grant of 160 Acres that was located West of present McHenry that did not exist then. Then he had a new House built on the Property.
This Historical Marker and the Bond Harvinson Historical Cemetery Marker are the only Two Historical Markers on US Highway 49 in Stone County MS.
James Dunnon Batson lived 5 Miles West of Wiggins MS and was born South of Brooklyn, Mississippi (Perry County), on March 15, 1856 and died in the family home near Wiggins, Mississippi, on January 6, 1936. He was the son of Lorinza and Elizabeth Byrd Batson. Dunnon Batson met Ernestine Price at the Bond Hoedown at Indie, MS. In 1877, James Dunnon Batson married the former Theodocia "Ernestine" Price in Harrison County, Mississippi. Later after Delphia Bond died in 1886 they settled beside her parents, Rev. Thomas Price and the former Maris Dale, and built a new home which was located five miles west of Wiggins. After the death of her parents, the Batson's inherited the Property and lived there the rest of their lives. This was orgianaly part of the John Dale Property that Thomas Price Inherited. And then was inherited by James Dunnon Batson and Ernestine Price. James Dunnon Batson also worked for Russell Bond at the Bond Sawmill and owned Timber Lands in present day Stone and Harrison Counties.
Abslom Lewis Hatten Jr. built the Hatten Creosote Plant at Wiggins in 1888.
and pumped Water from a large Spring that was located about 1 1/2 miles N/E of Wiggins MS that was close to Flint Creek to the Wood Water Tower. He later installed Water Pipes into Wiggins MS.
The, E.W. Bond Water Company was sold to the City of Wiggins MS.
Columbus Breland, built the Breland Electric Power Company.
The Steam Engines were the most Modern small Steam Engines that could by purchased in the early 1900's.
The small Kettle Style Boilers only had tiny Coal Fireboxes under the Kettles.
The cost of generating Electricity was probably only a Fraction of the cost of producing Electricity at Modern Power Plants today.
He began constructing Power Lines to the new Depot and then into Wiggins Mississippi. The Breland Electric Power Company.was sold to the Pearl River Valley Electric Power Association.
In 1896 the Niles Lumber Company that was headquartered at Niles Ohio purchased, 149,360 Acres of Timber Land located around 3 miles North of Red Creek and Two Sawmills.
When the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Company went into recivership in 1886, the Niles City Lumber Company of Ohio placed Bids on some of their Property in Mississippi. The Company was the high Bider for three seprate Properties in Mississippi that was purchased by the Company in 1895. One of these Properties was located at Wiggins MS.
In 1896 the Niles Lumber Company Applied a Post Office Application for a Post Office to be named Niles City and located on Niles City Lumber Co Land in Harrison County MS but that Application was denied.
In 1903, a Turpentine Still was built beside the Finkbine Lumber Company Mill Pond at Wiggins Mississippi, by the Gay & Rouche Company. The manager was Mr. Stronngie.
The Gay & Rouche Co. also built some Houses, a Company Store, and a Church, for their employees which was known as the Turpentine Quarters at Wiggins MS.
The Finkbine Lumber Co. had made a Contract with the Gay & Rouche Co. that gave the Gay & Rouche Co. rights to collect Turpentine from the bottom 18 Inches of Pine Trees before they were cut for Logs on the East side of the Railroad Tracks at Wiggins MS.
The Contract also allowed the the Gay & Rouche Co. to build the Turpentine Disillery on Property that was managed by their Subsidiary, the Mississippi Farms Company.
The Turpentine Disillery at Wiggins only operated during the harvesting season in the Spring, Summer, and Fall Months.
By 1927, the Finkbine Lumber Co. had harvested the Timber on the East side of the Railroad Tracks at Wiggins MS and the Turpentine Distillery and Houses were torn down.
The Gay & Rouche Turpentine contract was completed, and everything was removed from the Mississippi Farms Property in Wiggins MS.
But the Gay and Rouche Company continued to operate in the Big Level Area of Stone County MS.
Stillmore was located about 7 miles Southwest of Wiggins MS. It is recorded that J. F. P. Bond was born at Stillmore Mississippi in 1853.
The old Stillmore Post Office in Harrison County MS was still there at that time.
The Finkbine Lumber Co. also made a Contract with the Stillmore Turpentine Co. on Finkbine Timber Lands on the West side of the Railroad Tracks to collect Turpentine from the Stumps before the Trees were cut for Timber.
Years later the Finkbine Lumber Co. built a Railroad Track that passed by the second Distillery named Stillmore.
The Mississippi Farms Company Office is still located on the West side of Ten Mile Road Two miles South of Wiggins MS. This location was between the Two Niles City Lumber Co. Sawmills that Finkbine Lumber Co purchased and the new Finkbine Sawmill at Wiggins MS.
The East Finkbine Subdivision was completed in 1903. The Street was a wide Concrete Street with Sidewalks named Pine Street.
This is the West end of the Pine Street that Finkbine Guild Lumber Co. built.
Until recently no other Sidewalks in Residential Areas of Wiggins MS have been built other than the Sidewalks that Finkbine Lumber Co. or the wholly owned Subsidiary named the Mississippi Farms Company built.
The Finkbine Women's Clubhouse was located near the East end of Pine Street. Helen Ray Preston has recently repaired the Finkbine Women's
Clubhouse and has but Brick around it.
Finkbine Lumber Company built a Club House in 1903 that was located on Club House Drive at Wiggins MS.
The Club House was Staffed with a Cook, Maid, and a Butler, and Rooms for Business Men and their Wifes to stay in when they came to do Business with the Finkbine Lumber Company at Wiggins MS.
The Staff at Club House also served three Meals a day to the Finkbine Company Officers or Guests.
Social events such as Birthday Parties for the Finkbine Lumber Co. Employees were held at the Club House also.
Finkbine Lumber Co. built the Second Finkbine Subdivision on the West side of the Railroad Track in Wiggins MS. The Subdivision had a wide Concrete Street and Sidewalks. This was the Second Paved Street in Wiggins MS that was built.
This Subdivision was turned over to the Mississippi Farms Co. to manage and the Mississippi Farms Co. advertised, Comercial Property for Sale at Wiggins, MS.
Andrew Bond built the Bond Hotel in the Second Finkbine Subdivision. This Building is one of the few original Buildings left in the Second Finkbine Subdivision that has not been torn down.
The Finkbine Guild Lumber Company formed a wholly owned Subsidiary named the American Pickle and Canning Company.
The American Pickle and Canning Company built a factory in 1912 at Wiggins MS for processing farm products.
The plant processed pickles, tomatoes, beans, fruits, berries, and sweet potatoes. The Pickle Plant burned in 1913 and was rebuilt. The registered Brand name for the Canning Company was American Brands.
Food products are still being sold with the Brand name of American Brands.
The American Pickle and Canning Co. sold the Pickle Plant in 1926 to the Widlar Company and eventually the Pickle Plant closed in 1980.
The School was the Strongest Brick Building that was ever built in Wiggins Ms. The Building was Constructed to be Stronger than the Stone County Court House at that time, but it was torn down.
This Wiggins High School was located where Blaylock Park is presently located.
Mr. Braxton Batson, who took this Picture has also preserved other Stone County History.
In 1820, Elisha Bond was the first Person to settle in the Area that became Stone County, MS. The name of his Land Patent was Chinquapin. His address was Elisha Bond
This Area is now the Big Level Area of Stone County, MS and the old Wagon Road by his House is now named the City Bridge Road.
The History of, Wiggins and Stone County MS. The Train Depot was built at Wiggins MS in 1902, and as you can see in this Picture there were no graded Roads there when this Picture was took. The Train Depot at Wiggins MS was built on Property that was owned by Sarah Lydia Cruthirds a
granddaughter of Russell Bond. The first Train to come thru Wiggins MS was on January 1, 1887.
Sarah Lydia (Cruthirds) Herrington was born, 6 Jan 1868, and died on, 9 Jul 1954. She is the Lady wearing a White Dress in the Picture.
She was a granddaughter of Russell Bond who had owned the Property before he died in 1895. His Granddaughter Sarah Lydia Cruthirds Inherited the 20 Acres of Land after he died on May 4, 1895.
In May of 1896 she married C. A. (Nat) Herrington, and his name was not on her Deed that was recorded in the Harrison County MS Courthouse at Mississippi City, MS before she married C.A. Herrington.
Her Property extended East of the Railroad Track to present day 2nd Street in Wiggins MS.
On January 21, 1910, between the hours of 11 am and 1 pm, all of these Buildings were completely destroyed by fire.
The fire started from unknown origin. With no City fire department, the residents of Wiggins resorted to bucket brigades and dynamite to stop the fire, which was confined to the east side of the The fire consumed 41 business establishments, including the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad depot.
Only two or three residential dwellings were destroyed, because most homes were built away from the business district.
Perry Ethan Bond applied for a Post Office named Perry that was approved by the US Postal Department while a Railroad Track was being built beside his Store. The large Building on the right side of the Picture was the Perry Bond General Mercantile Store and the Perry Post Office.
Then the Perry Depot was completed around August of 1888 on Property that Perry Ethan Bond owned. His Property became Perry, MS.
In 1889 Dr. George McHenry purchased 20 Acres of Land that that bordered with the East Boundary of Riceville and Perry, Mississippi, Mississippi.
He built the large White House that is on the left side of the Picture. In 1910 the 20 Acres of Land that he owned became McHenry, MS.
In 1823 Col John Bond Sr. recieved a Land Patent that was named, City Bond, in Hancock County MS.
The reason this Sign is beside US Highway at Wiggins MS is because it is verified that Col. John Bond Sr. was the Captian John Bond that won a Battle against the British at Rayburn Creek in the Revolutuioary War. He served as Col. John Bond Sr. in the Georgia Milita.
He was burried in 1837 in the Bond - Harvison Historical Cemetery that is located on the original Land Patent named City Bond.
He brought some of Widows and Orphans with him to City Bond, Mississippi and supported them.
Other families also supported some Widows and Orphans also becauce there was no Goverment Social Security or Welfare then.
When anyone recieved land Patents any where in the State of Mississippi at that time, the Person was required to choose a Name for the property that was different from any other Property name for Postal requirements.
Col John Bond Sr chose the name of City Bond for his Land Patent name.
In 1824 his son, Lt. William Bond also recieved a Land Patent named Flint-creek-Bond.
Lt. William Bond's address was
William Bond, Flintcreek-Bond, Miss.
Part of his original Flintcreek-Bond Land Patent became part of Wiggins, MS in 1904.
In 1841, City Bond was the only Town in the City Bond District of the new County of Harrison Mississippi. All of the first original Countys were divided into 5 City Districts. During the reconstruction period after the Civil War, the City Districts were renamed to 5 Beat Numbers .
Barney Perry Bond was one of the first County Representives of Harrison County, Mississippi
Barney Perrry Bond was generally known only as ( B. Bond ) and his Father was Lt. William Bond. Barney Perry Bond lived at Riceville MS. Barney Perry Bond had lived at Flintcreek-Bond, Mississippi from 1824 to 1832.
In November of 1841 William Bond was elected as Judge of the City Bond and Stillmore Districts of Harrison County MS. A new Court Room was built about 1/2 of a mile West of the present Railroad Track in Wiggins, MS where he lived at Flintcreek-Bond, Mississippi.
Court records were carried to the Court House at Mississippi City once a Week.
All of Roads that were connected to the original Land Grant and Town
named City Bond, Mississippi were named City Bond Roads on the new Harrison County Map that passed by members of the Bond Family.
But other Roads that connected to the City Bond Roads to other Land Grants were named the same as the name of that Land Patent.
Some examples are the, Mentoria, Riceville, Roads for examples and there were some small Post Offices built there by the new Harrision County, Mississippi also.
All of the names of these originial Roads were renamed when Stone County MS Map that was printed on July 15, 1916 except the original Riceville Road West of present day McHenry MS and the Wire Road that was named in 1846.
The old Town of City Bond, Stillmore, Flintcreek-Bond, were the only small Towns in the Area that became Stone County, MS, before the Railroad was built.
Then the new Towns of Perry, Perkinston, Wiggins, and Bond, Mississippi were built beside the new Railroad Tracks.
Riceville and Perry, Mississippi are now part of McHenry Mississippi. And Stillmore or City Bond, Mississippi are no longer Towns.
In 1836 Rev. John Alexander and Rebecca King came from Louisiana and relocated to where the Alexander Cemetery is located near Black Creek close to where Highway 26 crosses Black Creek on the East side of Stone County MS.
He established a Methodist Church, School, and a Fur Trading Post named Mentorah there.
Also after Harrison County MS was formed in 1841, the Mentoria Post Office was located in the first Floor of the Mentorah Church Building.
It has been passed down by John Alexander's decendents, that on 10/1/1854 that he and Rebecca went to Biloxi MS to do some shopping and spent the night in a Hotel in Biloxi.
Rev. John Alexander lifted the Globe on a Carbide Gas Lamp and blew out the Flame in the same manner that he was used to doing with Oil Lamps at his Home and went to sleep.
His Wife Rebecca King did not go to Sleep as quickly. When she smelled the Carbide Gas, she tried to wake Rev. John Alexander up but he had already died. He was burried at the old Ramsey Cemetery near Boloxi.
Recently Gene Alexander found his Tombstone and the Alexander Family had ( Rev.) added to his Tombstone.
The Mentorah Methodist Church was the 2nd Church formed in the area that became Stone County MS. The Mentorah Church and Post Office Building is a King Family Painting.
Elisha Bond and his wife Nancy Batson were the first American Settlers in the Area that is presently the Big Level of Stone County in 1820.
Lt Col John Bond Jr. was in the Area that is now Stone County MS in1823.
Elisha Bond was a Grandson of Col John Bond Sr and in 1824, the name of the Road that he lived beside was renamed to City Bond Road.
This City Bond Road was renamed to City Bridge Road in 1916.
There was only one Wagon Road in 1824 that thru the Area that became Stone County, Mississippi when the Depot was built at present day Wiggins MS which was named the City Bond Road on the Harrison Country Mississippi Map at that time.
This is a Picture of the original City Bond Road that crossed Red Creek West of Wiggins Ms near to the present day Bridge across Red Creek on old Highway 26'
The City Bond Road crossed the Railroad Tracks exactly whe Collage Ave, crosses the Railroad Track now and went to Pass Christian MS to the Intersection City Bond Road and the Bay Saint Louis Road where the oldest Daughter of Col John Bond Sr who was Francis Bond who married James Batson lived.
There was an Article published in the Stone County Enterprize by Noel C. Hatten who wrote a Article about the History of Wiggins. He wrote that there was only one Wagon Road from the Big Level Area to Wiggins that was named the City Bond Road. He included that his Parents Emma Bond and Casker E. Hatten had lived by the City Bond Road in the Big Level Area of Stone County before they moved to Wiggins, and that this City Bond Road was the oldest known Road in Stone County.
The North City Bond Wagon Road connected to the East and West City Bond Road at present day Collage Ave. and First Ave. and went thru Bond MS beside the Home of Preston Bond.
The Poeple living nearest to Wiggins MS to the West side of the Depot was, Thomas Erwin Bond who was the Postmaster of the Fintcreek-B Post Office.
This Recorded Cemetery Property can not be used for any other purpose than a Cemetery.
And this is how Woodlawn Park became a Cemetery in Wiggins MS.
The Presbyterian Church was build on the North side of City Bond Road in Wiggins MS.
The Finkbine Guild Lumber Co. graded and built Sidewalks on both sides of City Bond Road, but the Name was not renamed to Collage Ave. until after the second Wiggins High School was built at Wiggins MS.
This Picture came from a collection of Finkbine Lumber Company Pictures, but I do not know the Name of the Family in the Buggie.
After Russell Bond had died, his Grandaughter who was Sarah Lydia Cruthirds and was married to C. A. Herrington owned the Land that the 1905 Wiggins School was built on.
C. A. (Nat) Herrington built the first High School at Wiggins MS on this Property.
This was a Private School instead of a Public School and the Parents of the Chrildren that attended the High School had to pay a Tuition for their Children to be Enrolled in the first High Wiggins School at Wiggins MS.
This School was located on the South side of the East and West City Bond Road near to where Freds Dollar Store in Wiggins MS is presently located.
In 1924 the City Bond Road on the East side of the Railroad Tracks by the second High School in Wiggins MS was renamed to Collage Ave. for only
three City Blocks at that time
Around 1915 or 1916, East Railroad Street was Graded by the State of Mississippi to become the first Dirt Highway 49 thru Wiggins MS. In 1942 the Concrete Highway 49 was built on the West side of the Railroad Track in Wiggins, MS
The 2nd large Building from the Right side of this Picture was the Citizens Bank. The old Citizens Bank building is now Wilsons Drug Store.
This is one of the few Brick Buildings that still remains beside First Street in Wiggins MS. that was in this Picture.
The American Pickle and Canning Co. was a Subsidiary of the Finkbine Guild Lumber Company.
In 1912 the, American Pickle Co. at Wiggins MS, purchased Land from the Mississippi Farms Co. and built a Pickle Plant at Wiggins MS. The Pickle Plant was located 3/8 ths. of of a Mile North of the Depot in Wiggins MS. In,1913 the Pickle Plant burned and was rebuilt.
Andrew Bond, Beat 5 Supervisor of Harrison County MS graded the City Bond Road Wagon Road on the West side of Wiggins MS and built a Bridge across Red Creek.
He began at the Railroad Tracks in Wiggins, Mississippi and graded the City Bond Road to West Border of Beat 5 of Harrison County, Mississippi
Andrew Bond, the Beat 5 Supervisor of Harrison County MS did not rename the City Bond Road. The old City Bond Road on the West side of Wiggins, MS is now old Highway 26.
After the Second Finkbine Subdivision was completed, the Mississippi Farms Company graded more Streets in the First Finkbine Subdivision and begain to sell Plots of Land.
In 1906, the First Baptist Church was built in the First Finkbine Subdivision.
A Postcard Picture of the Stone County Courthouse at Wiggins MS.
The new County Supervisers chose Wiggins MS to be the County Seat for the new County. Until then, Wiggins MS was a small town in Harrison County MS. The new Stone County Courthouse was completed in 1918.
The, Service Station that can be seen in this Picture was still operating and selling Gasoline in the1950's.
And the Courthouse looked exactly the same as it does in this Picture in the 1950's also.
Plymouth Car from Arl and also remember that Highway 29 was not Paved in 1969.
Since 1969, Highway 29 has been relocated to cross the Railroad Track at Hatten Street.
The Building is presently the, Center Stage School of Dance that is owned by Miss. Jamey