What is a Picture Walk?
- an introduction to a book
- used before reading the text
- a group conversation about the book
- used as a comprehension strategy
- also known as a Book Orientation
Why use a "Book Orientation" like this?
- students activate prior knowledge
- vocabulary is discussed
- interactive discussion about the illustrations and some text
- predictions are made
- will provide a better understanding and recall of what is read
What Age Group is appropriate?
- every reader at any age will benefit from this activity
What type of subject matter works best?
- informational text - comprehension will increase
What experiences/readings precede this activity?
- none - this is the prereading activity to introduce the new story
How well do children need to read to participate in a Book Orientation?
- any level
- this is an interactive discussion of the story's contents, including headings, text, illustrations, vocabulary, etc.