- 1lb boneless chicken thighs with skin, cut bite size
- 1 thumb size ginger, grated
- 3 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. sake
- 1/2 cup Potato starch (katakuriko) or cornstarch (if you have both, potato starch is better)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp regular salt)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (for a little kick) *optional*
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
Combine grated ginger, soy sauce and sake in a bowl. Add chicken and toss well to coat. Marinate for at least an hour
(no longer than 4 hours otherwise the chicken may lose moisture because of the salt in the soy sauce).
In a medium size bowl, mix the potato starch, salt and chili powder.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees using a temperature-controlled fryer or a thermometer. If you don't have one, test with a small piece of chicken.
Coat each piece very well, shake off excess and fry in batches (don't put too many at once as doing so lowers the temperature of the oil).