Hagood-Mauldin House / Irma Morris Museum of Fine Arts

Significant for its architecture and for its association with James Earle Hagood,
Judge Thomas J. Mauldin, and Frances "Miss Queen" Hagood Mauldin.

The earliest section of the one-story frame house was 
built ca.1856 in the town of Pickens Court House. The first owner, James Earle Hagood, son of Col. Benjamin Hagood of Twelve Mile Plantation, was a legislator, lawyer, and planter of Pickens District.

When Pickens District was divided into Oconee County and Pickens County in 1868, the house was disas-sembled, each board and beam was carefully numbered, and it was loaded onto wagons and reconstructed at its present site in the "new" town of Pickens. The original house was constructed using log beams and joists at the floor and attic, each carefully cut, fitted, and pegged. It is believed that Mr. Hagood made additions to the house shortly after 1868 and later in 1886. Judge Thomas J. Mauldin expanded the front porch to a Classical Revival style in 1904 and also added, just to the south of the house, a smaller Classical Revival style building that he used as a law office.

From its earliest days, the house was a social and political center. "Miss Queen" Hagood, daughter of James Earle, a prominent DAR and UDC leader, lived all her life in this house. She married Judge Thomas Mauldin and entertained the Confederate veterans here each year on the birthday of President Jefferson Davis.

The last owner, antiques collector Irma Hendricks Morris, bequeathed the house and its rare furnishings to the Pickens County Historical Society.


The Hagood-Mauldin House. Listed October 9, 1997 in the National Register.



The SC house the old Confederate veterans called home

Original Appalachian History post by Dave Tabler | September 7, 2012

After her father died in 1904, Frances Miles Hagood (aka “Miss Queen”) inherited his 
house in Pickens, SC. That same year she married Judge Thomas J. Mauldin, and the two 
of them remodeled the Hagood house from a simple farmhouse with a detached kitchen 
to a sumptuous Classical Revival dwelling...



collections

house

gardens

Click on the images above 
for more great photos.

Museum interior photos 
courtesy of Linda & Jon Starin.




Irma Morris 
Museum 
of Fine Arts


Phone
864.421.4771

Address
104 North Lewis Street
Pickens, South Carolina 29671

Operating Hours
Third Saturday of each month
April through October
10 am to 4 pm

Closed holidays
Tours by appointment

Admission
Adults  $5.00
Students (under 18)  $1.00


The illustrations on these pages include many which we believe to be in the public domain. If an image appears to which you have exclusive rights, please contact rick@altonmedia.com so that the image may be removed from the website, or proper credit given.