SHORT ANSWER TYPE QUESTION
- Define centre of mass.
- Where does the centre of mass lie if two particles are of equal masses?
- On which factors does the location of centre of mass depend?
- Prove that the centre of mass of two particles divides the line joining thw two particles in the inverse ratio of their masses.
- Distinguish centre of mass and centre of gravity.
- Obtain an expression for the position vector of centre of mass of a system of two particles.
- Torque and work, both are obtained as the product of force and distance. How do they differ?
- What is the geometrical meaning of angular momentum?
- Prove that the time rate of change of momentum is equal to the torque acting on it.
- Derive a relation between torque and angular momentum.
- State the law of conservation of angular momentum.
- Establish a relation between torque and angular acceleration. Hence define moment of inertia.
- Derive a relation between torque and moment of inertia.Derive an expression for the rotational kinetic energy of a rigid body rotating with an angular velocity w and hence define moment of inertia of the body.
- Why moment of inertia called so?
- Define radius of gyration.
- In a flywheel, most of its mass is concentrated towards its rim. Explain why?
- Give two examples to explain the principle of conservation of angular momentum.
- If the earth suddenly contracts, what is the effect on the duration of a day?
- State the theorem of parallel axes and the theorem of perpendicular axes of moment of inertia.
- Derive expression for total kinetic energy of a rolling body.
- A ring, a disc and a sphere of same radius and mass rolls down an inclined plane from the same height h. Which one of these reaches the bottom (i) earliest, (ii) latest.
- What is the velocity of a body when it reaches the bottom of an inclined plane rolling without slipping?
- If the ice on the polar caps of earth melts, how will it affect the duration of day?
- How will you distinguish a raw egg and a boiled egg by spinning it.
- Why is a ladder more apt to slip when you are high up on the ladder than when you have just started climbing?
LONG ANSWER TYPE QUESTIONS
- Determine the acceleration of a body rolling down an inclined plane without slipping. What is the minimum value of coefficient of friction required for the body to roll without slipping?
- State and prove the theorems of moment of inertia.