Philos Health is an international nonprofit corporation formed in August 2004 to improve the health and well-being of people living in rural and under-served areas of the Philippines. Our founders are a group of health care providers and supportive community members in the San Francisco Bay Area.Philos Health provides medical, surgical and dental care to residents of Jagna, Bohol who have limited access to medical care. We partner with the local government and other NGOs to develop new health care services
when none exist.
Our primary work for the past 10 years has been in Jagna, Bohol, but we have also provided typhoon relief in Davao, Philippines in 2012. We currently provide earthquake relief in Bohol and typhoon relief in Ormoc, Leyte.
Board of Directors
- Medical Director of
Rehabilitation Services at Mills Peninsula Health Services in San Mateo,
CA. He has been on eight trips to the Philippines.
- Nurse Supervisor for Evening
Shift at Mills Peninsula Health
Services. She has been to Jagna 8
- Radiology Department Nurse at
MPHS. She has been on three trips.
- Director of Senior Focus at
MPHS. She serves as the Philos Board Secretary.
- Medical Director of Philos
Health. He is a specialist in Infectious Diseases and is Medical
Director of Infection Control at Mills Peninsula Health Services.
He has been on 10 trips with Philos Health. He is married to Dr. Jennifer Normoyle, a
OB GYN at Kaiser South San Francisco, who is the Surgical Director of
Philos Health. She recently led her fifth surgical trip to Jagna.
- Director of Operations at Laguna Honda Hospital in San Francisco. He has
been on one trip and serves as the Philos CFO.
- A nurse at the MPHS Family Birth Center.
She has been with the group twice.
- Has been to Jagna, Bohol with
Philos once. He is Senior Construction Manager at Sutter Health
- A hospitalist at MPHS and has
been to the Philippines once with the group.
Malakoff, Chair and Founder
- Retired Vice
President of Mills Peninsula Health Services/Sutter Health. Currently he is a consultant working
with hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and other health care
- He has led 39 trips
to the Philippines.
- Pulmonologist and Hospitalist
at MPHS. She has traveled with the group 3 times to the
- A retired emergency physician
at Kaiser Redwood City. He has been with Philos 10 times to the
Philippines. He also travels yearly as a volunteer physician in
- Emergency Department physician
at MPHS. He has been three times to the Philippines.
- Brice Wu is a Senior Manager at Google in Mt. View, California. He recently went to Jagna with his wife Jenny Hsu, MD for the first week of their honeymoon.