History‎ > ‎Land‎ > ‎

Siaröfortet 2011

posted Sep 16, 2011, 12:51 PM by Peter Eliasson   [ updated Feb 3, 2012, 6:03 AM ]
Sprängskiss med förklaringar.



The pictures can be found here: Siaröfort in pictures.

Siaröfortet (The Siarö Fort)

The defense of Stockholm has always been of the highest priority and during the 16:th century Vaxholms fortress was built to secure the only passage into Stockholm. The big fortresses was visible at a long distance and were supposed to deter the enemy.  

400 years of development of artillery and ships made Vaxholms fortress redundant.

The new strategy was to meet the enemy further out into the archipelago and the forts should be hidden – See but don’t be seen was the motto. In a turbulent time just before the First World War, the parliament decided to build an outer line of fortifications in 1914.

This line was composed of artillery batteries and mine fields in a ring outside Vaxholm and was supposed to stop the enemy at a distance.

On the Kyrkogårdsö (Graveyard Island), earlier used as a cholera burial site, the build of Siaröfortet was commenced in 1916. The project had a lot of problems and was finished in 1926 but it was not until 1928/29 that all equipment was finally installed. The armament was two 15.2 cm guns. There was an outer perimeter with a remotely triggered mines and two 57mm mobile guns. There was one 150 cm search light  and two 90 cm search lights. The fort was surrounded by five rows of assault barriers and several trenches.

The fort was closed in 1939 but remained in limited service during World War two. In 1959 the armed forces left the island. In spite of all the effort and money spent the Siarö fort was not to any great use to the coastal defense. A lot of different factors quickly made the strategically sound fort unusable.

Today the fort is a well preserved document of a turbulent time.

siaröfortet


 


Comments