At age eighteen, after finishing high school, I sat at home and became bored. I didn't want to get to uni. I didn't like the idea of working, let alone working hard, so I sat around playing Nintendo. One day I was bored enough to revisit a story I wrote in year four about Joel the Onion of Death. I wrote a chapter. Some months later I'd written 50,000 words and I realised I was halfway through a book.
A year or so later a friend sent me an advert for a playwriting competition. I'd never even read a play (excluding what I pretended to read in high school), let alone written one, but I thought, "What the heck. I'll write a play." I won the competition and had my first play produced for a 22-show season.
This has grown from a bit of frivolous fun to a serious career. I've now completed five novels and over 80 plays, as well as a range of articles, short stories and more. I have over 750 play productions under my belt with 23 major awards won in national or international competitions. 35 of my plays, novels or short stories are published in print.
I'm highly active in the Sydney theatre scene. I coordinate a monthly theatre show called Crash Test Drama, held on Monday nights at New Theatre. I am Short+Sweet International's Literary Manager, in charge of script submissions and assessments, and the Festival Director of Short+Sweet Sydney. I am the Producer of The Monologue Project, which runs performances and workshops. Most of my plays are available from this website. I also teach creative writing and run playwriting workshops.
When I'm not writing or running my businesses or theatre shows or contracting myself out, I'm playing with my ferret Malcolm, sleeping, eating, or pining over the fact that I can't sing. Sigh.
Me and Matilda
This is what occupies most of my time:
Notable Writing Achievements
* 2017 - short play Captain Everything wins Best Play and People's Choice Runner Up at Short+Sweet Dubai
* 2016 - 750 productions of my plays
* 2016 - published The Travellers' Guide To The Afterlives, a fiction novel
* 2015 - short play V.D. awarded the Audience Choice Winner at France's first ever International 10 Minute Play Festival in October
* 2015 - short play Captain Everything wins Wildcards People's Choice Award at Short+Sweet Manila 2015 in September
* 2015 - 500 productions of my plays
* 2015 - short play Captain Everything wins People's Choice Award at Short+Sweet Kolkata 2015 in July
* 2015 - 11 of my new monologues published by SpeechGeek
* 2014 - 50 different plays performed in productions around the world
* 2014 - short play Captain Everything wins People's Choice Award at Short+Sweet Malaysia 2014 in November
* 2014 - 18 of my monologues published by SpeechGeek
* 2014 - full length play V.D. tours NSW before heading to Brighton, England
* 2013 - short play Cry For Me wins Best Play at Crash Test Drama Finals in December
* 2013 - short play V.D. is named Winner of LOST Theatre Company's Five Minute Festival in London, England
* 2013 - screenplay Henchmen produced in LA (www.henchmenco.com)
* 2013 - short play V.D. part of show that wins The Latest Festival Award for Best Theatre Performance at Brighton Fringe
* 2013 - short play Checkout wins Best Production at Short+Sweet Canberra 2013
* 2013 - short play V.D. wins 5x awards at Short+Sweet Auckland: Best Play, People's Choice Award, Best Comedy Script, Best Actress and Best Director
* 2012 - short play Disgusted wins Best Script at Short+Sweet Bangalore Corporate Festival
* 2012 - full length play Room recipient of Sydney Fringe Award, published by EmuScripts
* 2012 - short play Filled To Empty winner Best Script, Short But Not So Sweet 2012
* 2012 - short play V.D. wins Honorable Mention, Best Play at Ten Minute Quickies 2012
* 2012 - short play Foreclosure published in an anthology
* 2012 - short play V.D. wins a place in first ever People's Choice Showcase at Short+Sweet Sydney 2012
* 2011 - short play The Flowers wins People's Choice Award at Crash Test Drama Finals in December
* 2011 - short play The Flowers selected as a Gala Finalist at Short+Sweet Melbourne 2011
* 2011 - short play V.D. performed in Gala Finals of Short+Sweet Brisbane 2011 and wins People's Choice Award (by the highest margin ever) and Best Comedy
* 2011 - short play The Devil's Aftershave selected as a Gala Finalist at Short+Sweet Sydney 2011 (170 plays performed)
* 2010 - short play The Devil's Aftershave performed in Singapore, Canberra and Brisbane. Winner of Best Drama, Short+Sweet Brisbane 2010 (from 750+ entries)
* 2010 - short play Going Down ranked Top 10 of the Popular Vote, Short+Sweet Sydney (160 plays performed)
* 2010 - short play The Goon published in an anthology
* 2009 - novel Eyes And Knives published
* 2008 - founded Helm Publishing, an independent publishing company
* 2002 - one act play The New Inhabitant Winner of Naked Theatre Company's "Write Now!" competition
* 65 plays performed in over 750 productions
* 5 novels completed
* published by SMH, www.newmatilda.com, Greenpeace Australia Pacific, Empower Mag, Writers Beat Magazine, many others
I have published a fiction novel as well as many short stories, articles and plays.
I'm highly active in the Sydney theatre scene. I coordinate a monthly theatre show called Crash Test Drama, held on Monday nights at New Theatre. I am Short+Sweet International's Literary Manager, in charge of script submissions and assessments, and the former Festival Director of Short+Sweet Sydney. I am the Producer of The Monologue Project, which runs performances and workshops. Most of my plays are available from this website.
I teach Monologue Performance and Business Skills courses at New York Film Academy Sydney, creative writing classes through Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai Community College, and I coach actors/writers. Read more about this here.
I have previously run an independent publishing company, Helm Publishing, which released several titles and offered editing services for fiction writers and playwrights. I currently work as a contracting editor for New Holland Publishers.
SMH, The Heckler - Watch out or I'll cut you off
SMH, The Heckler - Clean sweep deals a blow to progress
SMH, The Heckler - It's a lark, ascending
NewMatilda - How Liberating Is Porn Really?
NewMatilda - A Race To The Bottom In Bradfield